Name that Rune.

From: yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 95 12:06:55 BST

Peter Metcalfe says:

>The Story was 'When Arkat was a Duck' and it was printed here in
>volume 1, No. 88. According to the Broken Council Guidebook (ask
>Eric for details on how to get it), Humath was a god worshipped in
>Ralios during the first age. The Book has been endorsed by Greg.

I have no problem with Humath being a storm/war god in Ralios. I seem to remember (was it Dave Dunham?) posting a story recently about a Ralian Hsunchen meeting a bunch of Theyalan immigrants, who thought that Humath must be Humakt.

> ........................, he knows they actually
>worship Ehilm who was expelled from Brithos by Malkion. But in Dragon
>Pass, you've got Elmal and Yelmalio who are not related to Ehilm at all.
>Ergo they must be anthromorphications of the Sun God in Malkioni eyes.

Ah, the difficulties of disussing Gloranthan linguistics, when all we have to go on are English translations.

The names Yelm, Yelmalio, Elmal, Ehilm, etc are too close for it to be a coincidence. What we realy need to know is - what do the Dara Happan, Yelmalian, Theyalan and Western names for the Fire/Sky rune sound like? Anyone want to bet they all sound similar, and all bear a similarity to the names of the associated god?

Perhaps the word for Fire/Sky is 'El'.

Thus the similarity in their names is simply due to their association with solar powers.

Simon Hibbs
yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk