Re: Tales

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 21 Sep 95 03:01:25 EDT

Robert wrote, a while back (but I've only recently received a copy of that Digest, thanks to Loren's new mailing software):

> Tales, Codex, RQA are great. Fantastic. The way of the future. But I think
> there is still a feeling that Greg is IT - and that anything Gloranthan must
> pass him.

That isn't the Tales editorial policy: at Reaching Moon Megacorp we print what we like, and don't pass the zine to Greg for "Glorantha-checking" ahead of time. Of course, we're always delighted to be able to print articles and snippets by Greg. We often get these by rummaging around in his old manuscripts until we find something we want to print (or reprint), then suggesting it to him. I'm very glad you like the zines that result from this selection process -- but that "feeling" you think is there doesn't enter into it.

Your argument seemed odd, though: "If Greg Stafford loves Glorantha so much, why doesn't he stop writing about it?" Isn't that a bit of a non sequitur?

Sandy: the new Kralori stories were great! More, please...

Typo Alert: the issue of Tales with the Lunar Cults of Glamour and the Granite Phalanx was #12, and not #13 as I mistyped in the Lunar Cults source-list posted here recently. Tales #13 is jolly good too, though, so if you've ordered it by mistake I suggest you hang onto it and order a Tales #12 as well. Plus a few more copies for your friends, family, boss, etc.

Fanzines:

A recent poster asked which fanzine is best for a Gloranthan newbie. Of course, "Tales of the Reaching Moon" is the best thing since sliced bread and embodies the perfection of Lunar balance, with lots of Gloranthan articles, fiction and cults, plus at least one colourful RuneQuest scenario in every issue. "RuneQuest Adventures" has more RQ/scenario material, while "Codex" has more hardcore Gloranthan articles. Note that there is a mix in all of these zines: Codex prints the odd scenario and campaign setting, and RQA includes background material related to the setting of the issue. So, if your interest in Glorantha is primarily as a RuneQuest setting, buy Tales and RQA (and look at Codex); if it's as a world in itself, buy Tales and Codex (and look at RQA). If you're not strapped for cash, buy all of them. If you are strapped for cash, sell your granny and buy Tales. And if you get some change from your granny and want to buy more fanzines, buy Tales first and read our fanzine review page to find out where they are.

(Does anyone out there want to give an impartial opinion? My bias may be showing!)

All Hail the Reaching Moon!

Nick