Brass again; The Incredible Harrek; Valind

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 23:30:46 +0100

Joerg talks about brass being good for sound: Hm, I still think that it is more fitting if it has something to do with the role of the brassers, which seemingly includes heat to a great degree, but to each his own. Brass may be copper (earth) plus gold (sky) as well, making it somewhat Lodrilic (I _like_ the "metals are the bones of the gods" theory - my only excuse for continuing it).

BTW, when I speak much about dwarves, it is not only because of a sudden impulse without connection to any Gloranthan gaming, like most of my babble. The character of my oldest campaign think they are dwarf-friends - they really are dwarf-tools, its just that they have not realized it and probably never will.

A new heresy of Dwarfdom: Eroticists. They believe that dwarves should train with the mortar and pestle to reach perfection with it, just as they train other parts of their body and mind in their spare time. In that way, the protodwarf modules will be of a higher quality. To prepare them for this training, they have official lessons with special Gold Caste members. (Remember the Monty Python sketch where John Cleese is the teacher giving his class a very practical lecture on sex, remaining an strict, matter-of fact stiff-upper lip teacher all the time?) Of course, they do not have access to the Clay Vessel except when children are wanted by the Powers That Be. The dwarves of Pavis may be Eroticists - I do not know.

A nifty dwarven trick: Openhandists have noticed too many times that humans can use their "gifts" in a not-good-for-the-Machine way. To stop this there is of course always gremlins, goblins and the new T2 jolanti model, but Silver Dwarves have developed a simple way of dealing with this. It is an enchantment which enables any dwarf who knows the bar code runes of the specific item to grab it with a Teleport with enough Range (to put in Gamespeak). The same mark can be used to scan the target with advanced clairsentience technique or to contact him telepathically, or simply to determine were he is.

Re: Harrek
I always tend to think of "super-heroes" as just that - using the word in the Marvel Comics' sense. I view much of their magic as very non-ritualistic, which does not mean it is unconscious - The Human Torch's flame is a part of him and requires no ritual to use, but it can be used cleverly and in designated way. Just like gods, really, to use a more Gloranthan analogy. (Hmm. I will bother you all with an anecdote. A player in one of my RQ campaigns rang me this weekend and begged me to start up my ancient Marvel Superheroes' campaign again - he had found the campaign notes and suffered from hypernostalgia. "I'd rather GM RQ" I said. "But couldn't we do BOTH? Wouldn't that be good HeroQuest rules - we could have a campaign in the Storm Age?" he answered. No need to worry - it was a joke. But one day I will punish them all and take it seriously....)

Finally: Anyone has any notes on Valind besides Gods of Glorantha and Wyrm's Footprints (very little in any of them, though you CAN glean things from GoG)? Joerg, you had done stuff on the Ygg Islanders? Certainly you had some ideas on Ygg's daddy? This is also material needed for the campaign. Any ideas on Kalikos Icebreaker would also be encouraged.

Erik Sieurin, the Guy Who Dares Bycycling At Night

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #171