defending a slight on my honour :-)

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 17:00:22 +0800

Carl accused me thusly

>>. . . Now, compared to 5 or 6 points of Shield, or two Thunderbolts, or
>>even 5 or 6 points of Trickster Rune magic (Lie, for example), which is more
>>useful.
>
>You're a powergamer, David. TO A TRICKSTER the illusion magic is
>wonderful, even if all it does is make phantom maggots appear to crawl
>from the winning pumpkin at the County Fair.

        Hmmph. Firstly - you have missed the point. Even if the illusion is utterly hilarious, 5 or 6 points is an enormously expensive spell by anybodys perspective (and not only tricksters get illusion magic, anyway). Feeling an urge to balance the game system appropriately is, IMHO, the exact opposite of power gaming. I politely swallow a couple more personal comments at this point.

        Secondly, I stand by the comment that 5 or 6 points of other rune magic is better, and this includes from a tricksters point of view. The thought of illusionary magics might have him in stitches, but compared to the hilarity possible with the combination of Lie, Detachable <whatever>, maybe Swallow, and whatever else you can get - 5 or 6 points for one reasonable joke doesn't really compete.

>Also, not all tricksters have access to all Trickster magic.

        Tricksters are really not all that relevent to the issue anyway - the spells should be balanced for tricksters and non-tricksters alike.

        Cheers

                David
Computing Officer    |" Life is easily understood as bit strings of logical
Arts Faculty UWA     |depth greater than their length" - Rebis, Doom Patrol
davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au |" Do not think, HIT, it is our way" - Milk & Cheese