Re: Illusions in Glorantha

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 01:10:37 +0000

carlf_at_panix.com (Carl Fink) writes:
> I will retract the jape "power gamer" in favor of "rule
> concretizer". As Sandy Petersen says, the rules should be fun, not
> "balanced" like a wargame.

That's true until the powergaming player in a group starts complaining about the rules imbalance without gameworld explanation and then decides to exploit the rules imbalance to protest the "unfairness". This is a form of protest that I've seen many times, and even done a few times, usually in xD&D games.

Bottom line. Rules should be balanced. Deliberate imbalance should be explained in the setting rules. In the case of RQ that means that the illusion rules (especially those in sorcery) should be balanced so it is not absurdly expensive to use illusions (divide by 3 or 4 or more). And in the Glorantha module it should state that illusions are more real in Glorantha than they are in the standard setting, so they are three or four times as difficult to cast.

> Granted other groups get Illusion spells, but I feel that a deliberate
> decision was made by Greg or other designers (Sandy?) to make Illusion
> magic weak, perhaps as a reaction to AD&D, where Illusionists can be
> absurd.

Right. That is because illusions are REAL in Glorantha. They aren't hallucinations. But hallucinatory (and easy to cast) illusions are in-genre for quite a few fantasy settings other than Glorantha, and the rules should not prohibit them as they do currently. whoah!

Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> Computer Guy <http://hops.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren>