More Uleria

From: Marc Philips <marc_at_cfmu.eurocontrol.be>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 13:23:59 +0100 (MET)

Thank you, Pam for your comments :

> I think first you need to define what role Uleria serves in your Orlanthi
> society.

Being the Goddess of love (and compassion), Uleria takes care of the poor, cast-aways and homeless. I would say that this has actually been her major function since time began. She provides food, a place to sleep and comfort to those who need.

I an small village like Apple Lane, there may not be so many people who need Her help because people tend to support each other more, but what about big cities like Boldhome or Pavis?

> Is she merely a goddess of female prostitutes? Why would the Orlanthi,
> who have very few prohibitions about sex, have so many prostitutes
> that they need their own cult?

Uleria is not a prostitutes' cult but most members of the cult have sex for retribution. Why? Because prostitution is the major source of income for the cult. Charity is very expensive.

Also, because the Orlanthi are so uninhibited about sex, they probably don't view prostitution as degrading. It's just another aspect of love (the physical one).

> I've always felt that Uleria worship would included in Ernalda's.

Agreed.

> There
> might be a spring fertility festival giant love-fest for all adults on
> Uleria's day, or a "Children's Day", like David Dunham has in Ralios. (For
> a whole day, the children get to be boss, and the adults spend all day
> playing with them and giving them presents.)

I like these ideas.

> In my game, houses of
> prostitution are run by Issaries initiates.

I don't like this one : the Issaries is unlikely to do it for free and the money is better spent on charity.

> > Would the priestess/acolyte talk the character not to forget that she has a
> > role to bear children?

> Only if he also talks to the male characters about their responsibility to
> care for a family.

I'll take this suggestion into account in my scenario; I originally meant the evening at the temple to be purely sexual but I realize now that this is a good place to tell the character about their duty to the future of the clan and tribe.

John, I read and liked your answer to my question too. I did not have more comments to make about it then I made here. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has issues of different world so I can't read the original write-up as you suggest.

Marc

Disclaimer : The words above are my own but the English was borrowed

             from a foreign language.