Re: Rule balance

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 22:21:29 +0000

Sandy writes:
> I believe that "balance" has no place in a roleplaying
> game. What does "balance" mean in such a game anyway? Surely it
> doesn't mean that the players shouldn't win too often?

I think that "balance" is important when it begins to impact on whether or not you can play in the genre you have chosen. It's my (perhaps inaccurate) feeling that more magical genres than not include a concept of weak, but easily cast, illusions. Glorantha does not include that concept, and that's why the RQ rules are as they are. But I feel that with the movement towards genericization of the RQ rules they should be tuned for the majority view, and afterwards fine-tuned for Glorantha.

On the other claw, if you want dandy illusions for your world you can do worse than borrow Sandy's RQ/Tekumel magic rules.

whoah!

Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> Computer Guy <http://hops.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren>

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #181