Fumble

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 01:01:46 +1100

G'day,
Recovering from my recent entry into the fourth decade, amply assisted by copious amber fluid and seared animal flesh (ie. we had a Barbie)

Jean Durupt

>I read Lords of Terror, and I found a nagging detail.
>In the short cults, Humakt is said to give the spell
>of fumble.

Don't exactly fit with the fair play and honour stuff, does it?

>I didn't find this spell description in Gods of
>Glorantha as indicated. I think that Humakt gives
>truesword instead.

All I know is that the Big H doesn't teach Fumble in my version of Glorantha. Ain't cricket. Next they'll be trying to convince me that just because Humakt has the geas "Never Use Poison", Humakti who don't have this particular geas cheerfully smear their blades with venom before duels.

>In the story with Jaxarde Whydeed in Tales of The
>Reaching Moon, the babyfaced broo shaman of Thed
>cast a spell that seems like fumble.
>Can one of the learned scholar of this list help me
>with a description of this magic.

Yes, Jaxarte is describing a Fumble spell, though he of course had no idea what it was. I got this spell out of Cults of Terror, the RQ2 precursor to Lords of Terror. The description of this prosaically named spell is very simple*: if a target's current MP are overcome, the target then rolls on the Fumble table in the rules book.

*most RQ spells have very straightforward names like this. When I first began playing RQ, all we had was a copy of Apple Lane (no rulesbook), and we just tried to figure out what the spells might be like from their names. Had a bit of trouble with Disrupt though; we figured it had something to do with distracting or upsetting an opponent's concentration, rather than a way to zap flies or make cappucino.

Kid's Books

Sandy:
> No, he wasn't a real doctor, but it doesn't matter,
>because he singlehandedly transformed children's literature from
>Dick & Jane into stuff worth reading.

Damn right he did - children's lit in this case being books for kids under 7 - 8 or thereabouts. So sayeth MOB, primary/elementary teacher librarian (for .5 of my working week anyway, also the school's physical education teacher .2 of the time, and teacher of a room of 5,6 and 7 years olds for the rest of the week).

RQ Con Down Under: the periodic announcement Melbourne, January 19-21st 1996

This the the third in a series of RQ Cons, the first being held in Baltimore, January 1994 and San Fransisco, January 1995.

Like the previous RQ Cons, this con will have Greg Stafford and Sandy Petersen in attendance, as well as a large number of attenders from overseas countries.

The convention is not only dedicated to RuneQuest, but all the great games produced by Chaosium: Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon, Elric, Nephilim, Dragon Pass and even Credo!

**HOME OF THE BOLD FREEFORM**
The feature event of the convention is HOME OF THE BOLD, the 70 player, multi-session freeform that was such a great success at RQ Con '94 and Convulsion '92 in England. No Glorantha or RQ knowledge is needed to participate in this event, and we still have a number of places available. Assigning characters will take place in December.

This promises to be the most exciting Glorantha/Chaosium event ever held in Australia, so don't miss your chance to be part of it! Subscriptions are $40, plus $10 to play Home of the Bold (a very limited number of spaces left in HotB). There are no other additional costs to play in tournaments or attend the seminars.

If you're interested, I can send you a brochure via snail mail. The brochure has a lot more detail in it, and some nice pics!

Well, now that I'm 30 I'd better tootle off to bed as it's getting late...

MOB

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #187