Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #206

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 16:33:41 +0100

> I'm a local dignitary? Must be very local in that case.
People who write articles excellent enough to be published on homepages and in 'zines by FOREIGN dignitaries count as local dignitaries to me.

> Until then, do as i would - improvise.
But I have, oh but I have! One of the most used spells of the Gamemaster aspect's of Trickster cult is Improvise Details of Gloranthan Phenomenon. Bloody lucky we're all acolytes.........

> Why do all gnomes have to be mindless? Some of them should have free INT
> and a few of those should have really high INT.
Yesyesyes! I think most mindless, multi-purpose gnomes are confused. wandering Mostali constructs......
But then I have sometimes ( I change my mind pretty often, one of the few similarities between me and Mahatma Greg) thought of the difference between elementals and spirits in this way: Elementals don't really live on the Spirit Plane. All earth is alive. All air is alive. All natural elements are alive. However, the soul of raw elements is somewhat different from the souls of trees, animals, people and man-made items (who all have a clearer border between the "I" and the "other" than the wind and the compost heaps). Raw elements only have a "soul" when the many many small puffs of air, specks of dirt, drops of water etc unite. This they usually only do when urged to it by a magician or a spirit - a cave-spirit may cause a cavein, an earth priestess animate a compost heap etc. Thus there is a difference between "elemental spirit" and "elemental". But then, this is just a theory. All Michael's suggestions on the Use of Elementals/Elemental Spirits are very valid IMO.

> Acolytes should never have access to the full magic of priests or lords.
> That is a function of elevation ceremonies/'higher' initiation. They could
> have access to the priestly spells as one-use. An Orlanth godi shouldn't
> have access to Thunderbolt or Wind Warp. 'Thunder' yes, but not
> Thunderbolt. Thus, a Wind (initiate) shouldn't have access to Thunderbolt
> either.

Hm.. I have different ideas about this. I agree that acolytes ought to be less powerfull than priests, but not that they should have all one-use spells. My favorite idea is that an acolyte (and perhaps a priest or runelord as well) only gets reusable access to the spells of their temple; for most parts a shrine, which in my book only will teach mostly basic-basic magic. So an Orlanth godi may have access to reusable Cloud Call, but only one-use Wind Warp etc. You then get a more smooth curve; the higher up in the hierarchy, the more cool magic you get, and a high priest of Orlanth Thunderous or Tribal King (bigwig of Orlanth Rex) gets not only social status against the smaller fry, but also more raw magical power.

On the text on Earth Cults: Very Good! Ex-cellent! Some questions on my all-time-favorite among the earth gods, Asrelia: * Is there still a dog association? The watchdogs of her hut, etc? * To think about it, is there a swine association with Ernalda? Or they coupled with Barntar (swines are excellent for breaking new ground, "living ploughs" in a way)?
* I liked the idea in GOG shortform of Asrelians caring for the money of the Earth Cults, and that they have those special regards on wealth to join and remain a member (though numbers shouldn't be taken as Law, of course, and ought to be different according to HOW you pay it). A proto-Rotary for the older, distinguished farmerwomen - the "Gnomes of Zurich", so to speak. (At least the nickname for the great graintrading families of Esrolia, who ought to worship Asrelia or equivalent, really ought to be the "Gnomes of Nochet" - of COURSE they really rules all politics in Maniria.....) Any comments, though things are of course far more small-scale in Far Point? * And how is it with burials, really: are Storm/Sky worshippers (often men) mostly cremated, while the Earth worshippers (often women) are mostly buried, as indicated by official ideas? A culture which has so different burial customs for the different sexes always have seemed very alien to me.....

Erik Sieurin