KOW

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 17:52:45 -0500 (EST)

I haven't had anything to say about the KOW so far, but let me mention a few comparisons from other role-playing games, and even RQ! One writer who diagreed with the Brooke-Petersen version of the KOW, complained by comparing it to the realm of Iuz in
Greyhawk!
  But notice that there was a rather good sourcebook on Iuz the Evil published by TSR, which included detailed descriptions of the (very grim) politics and society there. And PCs even can conduct a prison raid on the capital. Similarly, in the ICE Middle Earth sourcebooks, (and ME is far more good/evil polarized than Glorantha) there is one for the WitchKing's Realm and one for Gorgoroth, with the latter ontaining details of how to play orc characters in Mordor. Finally, in recent Glorantha publications about Prax (not to mention Dorastor, which I haven't read -- different GM) we have descriptions of the "society" of cannibalistic ogres (not just the write-up, but an ogre family), broos, a Pocharngo rune-priest and a Thanatari temple group.

   Even if the KOW is "only" an enemy we could well envisage a KOW sourcebook so that players could adventure there (undercover adventures are an important part of role-playing games). And there would have to be secrets about the KOW so that adventures would be possible. I'm a bit unceratin about why Brooke-  are so adamant that the society of the KOW ought not to be discussed. If the KOW is really Pol Pot, then it will inflict vast pain, but by definition it cannot win. The problem with any "expand or die" society, let alone a suicidal one, is that it eventually gets to a point where it can't expand. Jim Chapin