Dar Jeeling speaks

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 18:05:35 -0800 (PST)

Gather round children, bring your minds and you souls to bathe in the warmth of the wisdom of our ancestors.

Look around. What do you see? Yes, beautiful green plants that mark the presence of the ancestors. See how strong and green they grow, they grow with the strength and beauty of the children of our fathers and our father's fathers. Through these lineage plants our ancestors commune with us and give us strength and comfort. During the changing of the year under the guidance of the elders and the wise women of the oases we pick the top two leaves and the bud which are the portion of the living and the young. From this we can brew Pamalt's drink which gives us comfort and refreshment and fortifies us against all ills. This is the way the world should be as ordained by the wisdom of father Pamalt.

Let us look at those who do not have the benificence and guidence of the ancerstors.

The Old Men, the first-born of Grandfather Lodril, they suffer, they rage because of their great thirst. One drink of the ancestral brew and thier thist is overcome and they are comforted and can gain rest!

The City Men to the north. They shut themselves in their sterile cold walls of stone and can find no stillness, no balance. They do not partake of the symetry and beauty of the necklace. They must constantly fight and struggle for they do not have the wisdom of the ancestors to guide them on how to live with the land and the spirits. They blind their souls with a vile concoction of darkness that affects them so that they can no longer feel the comfort and satisfaction of connectedness. Instead they are filled with a false and unfoccused energy that rages and rants yet achieves nothing!

Let me tell you a secret, this brew, this vile substance that they call Cafe' is simply a trick of Bolongo on the poor deluded ones. Look and a man on this brew. What do you see - the red eyes, do they not look like the fire through Bolongo's mask? The strange grimace when the drink is tasted, such amusing contortions are surely the doing of the Empty One. They even look like the Fooloish Ghost masks! The actions of these men are empty, like Bolongo, full of sound and fury, they signify nothing.

But such is the wisdom of Pamalt that even Bolongo's silliest tricks can be made useful. There are those who cannot find rest, whose souls and legs can find no respite in stillness. These are those who have felt the call of Jijime and they can use this dangerous brew. But, my children, unless you wish to abandon your home and tribe and spend you life in fruitless wanderings, look beyond the mask of Bolongo!

Yours, fighting the good fight,
Yak

ps: Thanks Eric - I really enjoyed your coffee post. But I must agree with Pam, of course LDoaH drinks coffee. Hey you can't argue with two people from Seattle about that ;)!

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #229