Mostly Lodril

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 12:06:09 +1300

Nick Brooke:

>ii) I remembered a description of a (fictional? I hope!) atrocity I read
>some time ago. Travelling through a town or village sacked by the enemy,
>where Every Living Thing has been (impaled? crucified?) -- right down to
>the birds, domestic pets, farm animals... Now, that takes some doing:
>pure KoW style! (Can anyone out there remind me of the source?)

Bad news: It's not fictional. The account is from Polybius who notes that observing a town that had just been sacked by the Romans that 'They slew everything...even the Farm Animals' IIRC.

Martin Crim:

>>Lodril is technically speaking a Fire God rather than an Earth God of
>>Fertility. ...

>That's what one would conclude from the GoG write-up, which doesn't give him
>the Earth rune. However, his associations are strongly with the earth, and
>Greg Stafford has written (in a private communication) that Lodril is an
>earth god.

I said Technically as everybody says Lodril originally came from Heaven (well not everybody of course, but those whose myths we have about the origin of Lodril). The Pelorians do give him the Earth Rune with a Dot in it which I think means that they believe he has dominion over the lower world (compare Yelm's [also the GL Fire Rune] of light with a dot in it).

> Lodril Zorak Zoran
> -------- -----------------
> Third eye Third eye

Erm Lodril has a Third Eye? Monster Man doesn't really count as he is a subcult. But the rest of the parallels are instructive. I am convinced that Zorak Zoran is a Trollish Cult of the Fiery Lord of the Underworld. There is a passage in Troll Gods (The Yellow Booklet) that speaks of a Zorak Zorani Worship Ceremony in which Lodril was acknowleged (screamed rather) by shouts of 'Him we conquered, him we ate' or something like that.

David Cake:

>I suspect the fourth Hell is still the worst, though. The Fourth Hell is one
>of the four Hells of Dara Happan myth, and is the place of punishment and
>monsters, while the fifth hell seems to be where the things from outside
>Dara Happan myth comes from - at least it is the source of the dijijelm.

C'mon David! What's the point of having Seven Hells if only the Fourth One is the Worst? Going by the example of Dante, the Worst Hell should be the Seventh Hell ruled over by the Evil Ganesatarus.

Nick Brooke (again!):

>Yep: to the Pelorians, Lodril was "quenched" in his old age by Oronin
>marching upstream. Lake Oronin is in the crater of Lodril's ancient
>home, Fire Mountain. The waters are warm, they still steam and bubble
>in some places, and you can only rarely see Castle Blue's towers
>through the mists.

Wow! That is one Huge Volcano! So this place was the Former City of Akuturos. Was it stilled during the Flood?

As an aside, I just realised that when I wrote about Lodril not being the Land God of Pamaltela, I realized that the Red Giants of Garanzarn are possible Lodrili in that they originate from a Volcano. I wonder if Garanzarn was the Veldang name for the Agi? After all having drunk water, their fiery nature would have cooled down leaving black skin analogous to a bonfire quenched with water leaves black ashes...