Tarot, mostly

From: Merlin O Cox <coxmo_at_ibm009.balliol.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 19:02:31 GMT

Hello people.
I don't know Glorantha like many of you do, but I'm bored of lurking.
(It violates Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.)

Kingdom of War
They refer to themselves simply as War, don't they? 'War Incarnate' refers needlessly to 'War Discarnate'.

Tarot
The existing Tarot is a description of how humans think. Its images correspond to processes and entities of the collective unconscious.
(It doesn't matter if you don't believe there is a collective
unconscious, because it functions as if there is.) Different cultural interpretations of these symbols are required (because you can't depict reality completely directly), but they are the same symbols. The monomyth, God Learner construct or not, is true (= we can understand much better with it than without it). It's also, lest we forget, what led Greg Stafford to Glorantha in the first place.

     So a Gloranthan tarot can't deviate fundamentally from the existing  one. (I'm not saying real world because it's a misleading distinction  here: the RW tarot and the Gloranthan tarot are both about things  that exist in the imagination, i.e. imaginary things.) This is,  assuming Gloranthan humans aren't different in some fundamental way  from Earth humans. I think it's reasonable to assume they're not,  given some of the stated intentions about Gloranthan cultures  exploring aspects of Earth-human culture and development. (If they  are, we would have to invent a tarot which did for Glorantha what has  taken tens of thousands of years to develop on earth.) ...
These are my first suggestions for correpondences between cards and runes:

0. The Fool	luck rune
1. The Magician	mastery rune
2. The High Priestess	magic rune
3. The Empress	fertility rune
4. The Emperor	law rune
5. The Hierophant	truth tune
6. The Lovers	harmony rune
7. The Chariot
8. Strength		spirit rune
9. The Hermit
10. The Wheel of Fortune fate rune
11. Justice
12. The Hanged Man	man rune
13. Death		death rune
14. Temperance	stasis rune
15. The Devil	illusion rune
16. The Tower
17. The Star	infinity rune
18. The Moon	moon rune
19. The Sun	light rune
20. Judgment
21. The World	earth, air, fire, water runes

swords/spades	air
wands/sticks/clubs	fire
pentacles/coins/diamonds earth
cups/hearts		water

The correspondence is good but certainly not perfect. Since we know there are lots more runes than have been published, the runeless Major Arcana might need some of them.

    The Major Arcana are, amongst other things, a representation of the hero's journey. The best example of the hero's journey in Gloranthan myth is the Lightbringer's Quest, which suggests a few correspondences between cards and gods. We should probably be talking about an Orlanthi tarot or a Yelm tarot rather than a Gloranthan tarot, in any case. And how much do we know about styles of pictorial art in Glorantha?

 The Trickster archetype, by the way, originated like this: as soon as  proto-hominids evolved language and started to speak, they realised  they could lie. They could make a desciption of reality which did not  correspond to reality at all! By doing this they could influence  people's behaviour, make their own position stronger, start quarrels,  start wars. This power was so huge and new that it seemed partly  outside the liers, and it became myth. The power to lie also more or  less created art. But it remained so destructive, tolerable only in  very restricted ways, that the contrary imperative of Control became  myth too, in forms such as Zeus, Odin and of course the God of the  Hebrews. An extraordinary treatment of Trickster and Control is  Robert Holdstock's novel The Hollowing.

    In the hunter-gatherer societies that existed at that point, one lapse in discipline, or in coordination among the tribe, would result in death. The world was chaos, subject to man's will in only the smallest and most temporary ways. The stage at which most people could conceive of a balance of law and chaos began with widespread permanent settlement, in which small parts of the world were tamed and behaviour within them became less life-critical. This is part of what's interesting about the Lunar Empire: by setting up 'civilised' infrastructure, widespread individual chaotic behaviour becomes possible, so the Empire looks from the outside like a thing of chaos.
(Not my summary of the Lunar Empire, just a possible aspect of it.)

M.