War in Prax, Virgins and Monster Man

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:08:17 +1300

Paul Pofandt:

>Given the number of waring factions in Prax, I'd have thought that there were
>more significant temples [of Humakt] around.

Why? Just because Humakt is _said_by_ the Orlanthi and the God Learners holds the Death Rune doesn't mean every culture in Glorantha has to acknowlege him because they fight often. Storm Bull (the Praxian Version) is as close to the (Gloranthan) Universal Archetype of Storm God bearing Deat^H^H^H^H Gifts for Praxian purposes to be their main God of War against their Worst Enemy.

Rob Nicholls:

>[Interesting Discussion of Albanian 'Virgins' deleted.

>Now we know that Orlanthi don't have many qualms about women taking
>men's roles (i.e. through Vinga) and the Lunars are pretty liberated,
>but what about conservative cultures such as Yelmalions and the
>Malkioni. Perhaps this is a way for women to reverse roles in these
>cultures.

Probably the Yelmalions IMHO. Gives an interesting slant to the Female Rune Lord in Sun County and the type of marriage practices they see there as wholesome! I don't see it happening for the Heartlands of Malkioni Civilisation although it could happen in the remote areas (like Albania is to Europe).

Nick Brooke:

[Discussion on whether Lodril has three eyes deleted]

Me> Monster Man doesn't really count as he is a subcult. Me> But the rest of the parallels are instructive.

>Isn't Monster Man more the "Dark Side" of Lodril, all that dangerous,
>fiery, unconsummated anger and passion? In which case he's a very
>handy parallel to bear in mind when comparing Lodril to Zorak Zoran.

I'm operating at a handicap here as I don't have any of the Cult Writeups that were published in White Wolf. My comment about the subcult was that the object of the subcult's is not the God itself. Thus any comparisons with him and another god based on a subcult's image are fallacious (Frex, Amastan does not look like Zorak Zoran, frex). Arguments made on the grounds that a Subcult God's behaviour being the Darkside of the Main God would be more useful but I wrote the above whilst discussing aspects of Lodril's appearance and not his behaviour.

BTW What spell does Monster Man give? Beserk? There is another God called Monster Man other than Deshkorgos and that is Derdromus. Derdromus is mentioned as a Patron Diety of one of the Gloomy Emperors of Spol in the Unity List. Although this seems like a Darkness God and far removed from Lodril, I am reminded of Loren's description of the Spolite Empire's method of Human Sacrifice: cooking them in a Brazen Oven shaped like a Bull. This seems to me to indicate that Derdromus does use fire in his ceremonies and that he is the same god as Deshkorgos.