Re: Vorumai color magic and ecology

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 17:39:56 -0600

Andrew Behan
>Does anyone know anything about Vormaino colour magic and it's
>relation to Kralori Mysticism?

        The going standard for using "Vormain" as an adjective is "Vorumai" invented (as I recall) by Peter Metcalfe. Also, more native English speakers spell color "color". Shape up.

        Anyway, the Vorumai color magic has only the vaguest relationship to Kralori mysticism nowadays. In the Godtime, the East Isles agree that they were part of the intact continent of Vithela. The Kralori agree that they were part of Genertela (or, rather, that Genertela was part of them). It is unclear exactly where Vormain was located. The East Islanders seem to believe that Vormain was part of Vithela, too. The Vorumai themselves seem to believe that they were part of Kralorela (a peninsula, perhaps?), though their tales can be interpreted a number of ways.

        There is evidence that all three areas once used similar magic. With the East Isles isolation and the arrival of the Dreaming, they turned spiritually inward, and transformed the primeval magic of the East into their own style of dream magic. The East Islanders recognize this as a major change, and generally agree that they once were like the Kralori, for whom they still hold a great deal of respect. The Kralori state that they still use the same style of magic as at the Dawn, though refined and improved over the years. Close study of pre- and post-False Dragon Ring practices do seem to imply some significant differences, however.

        Anyway, the Vorumai, like the East Isles, presumably once used magic similar to Kralori Mysticism -- or, more accurately, used a magic system that would someday have evolved into Kralori-like mysticism. The isolation of the Darkness, and the struggle for survival significantly altered this original magic system. The current Vorumai color magic is still a little like Kralori Mysticism, but a very specialized, restricted form of it. It is intricately bound up with the various Vorumai religions and philosophies in a way that even the intricate Kralori magic is not.

        Anyway, that's most of what's known about the relationship between the Vorumai color magic and the Kralori mysticism.

John Hughes
>MAXIMUM LOCAL DIVERSITY - MLD

        This is not a retort to John, but comments and elaborations on my reaction to his points.

        As an ex-zoologist, I could never live with unrealistically placing a different large mammal population in every valley. Maximum Diversity doesn't enhance MGF for me unless it is carefully crafted. Simply letting every single place be totally new and unusual makes a campaign seem disjointed and put together in a slapdash way, rather than creative.

        I love exploring new places, but if everything is Different, then ultimately that variation becomes dull and consistent. In the East Isles, I portrayed every island as being quite different, but the players were able to sense the essential unity of this region at the same time.

        Huge differences are the stuff that make exploration fun. But I believe that such variation is normally better displayed as a series of clines rather than sudden vast alterations. Rather than having the Orlanthi and the Tarshites be utterly different in every detail, I find it more fun to display them has having essentially the same culture and many of the same gods, but perceived from a slightly different angle. This also adds interest to their interaction and especially to their mutual contempt, esp. when viewed by an outsider (as most of my PCs normally are).

        Of course, sometimes there should be sudden jumps in culture, geography, weather, etc. When these occur, they should seem unusual to the players, and force them to think about the alterations, or at least awaken them to the fact that they are in a radically different situation. For instance, the change from Dragon Pass to Prax is reasonably swift, and Orlanthi players should be aware that they are now in a very hostile place -- the rules are different here, and this is displayed by the fact that almost every detail of social structure and natural environment is quite different. The few places they're able to find evidence of home (such as Pavis) should be treasured oases.

        MGF is compared with Most Fun in the Long Term by John. I understand the point he is trying to make, but to me MGF means MOST Game Fun, and necessarily includes taking a longer view. I can't help but feel that John put up a straw man with exploding Ulerian hobbits and similar examples.

        For example, I have always contended that MGF implies that PCs should NOT always be able to succeed in every action, because this will erode MGF over time. This is clearly applicable only to the long term, as what the player wants right this second is to succeed.

Sandy P.