Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #240

From: Steve Lieb <liebx004_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 1995 22:28:59 -0600

>>ii) I remembered a description of a (fictional? I hope!) atrocity I read
>>some time ago. Travelling through a town or village sacked by the enemy,
>>where Every Living Thing has been (impaled? crucified?) -- right down to
>>the birds, domestic pets, farm animals... Now, that takes some doing:
>>pure KoW style! (Can anyone out there remind me of the source?)
>
>Bad news: It's not fictional. The account is from Polybius who notes
>that observing a town that had just been sacked by the Romans that 'They
>slew everything...even the Farm Animals' IIRC.

Worse news; it's not even original. Similar accounts (believable? not always) exist of the same being done by Mongols, Tatars, Teutonic Knights, Berbers, French Legionnaires, Soviets, etc, etc. My guess was the first to do it were probably the Assyrians, they were pretty bad-ass dudes.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #254