Mostali clothing and more West Australian tourist tips

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 11:02:30 +0800

        There is one source of inorganic clothing, more pleasant than fibreglass, available to Mostali miners and eminently practical for a culture with so many forges and other very hot things - asbestos. I think asbestos clothing is very popular among the Mostali, at the very least asbestos aprons. I think eminently practical, and that uniform light grey colour is probably the height of Mostali chic.

        Marco Polo wrote about the Chinese using asbestos, though if you believe recent theories that he didn't visit the place at all, that might not be so convincing. Still, it seems accessible to dwarven technology.

        Of course, the unfortunate side effects of working with raw asbestos frequently (dieing of horrible lung diseases years later) may or may not occur in Glorantha.

        There is a whole town here in W.A., called Wittenoom, that went from thriving asbestos mining community to virtual ghost town when the medical link between asbestos and asbestosis became clear. Still a popular tourist spot, though, beatiful gorges.

        Cheers

                        David