The Solution to all RPG problems!

From: Jonas Schiott <jonas.schiott_at_vinga.hum.gu.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 15:11:42 +0200

Get better players.

Or at least educate the ones you have.

That turns out to be the only real advice I can give to Nils...

>>Perhaps I need to give an instructive example. Here follows the plot of
>>"The Wolf Sceptre", an old scenario from when we were playing in Dragon
>>Pass
>
>I played a version of that scenario at GothCon in 1984 or something like
>that. We had a great time for sure, with a lot of bizarre occurrences,
>but I wouldn't want every session to be like that.

Why ever not? Anyway, it's nice to know that _someone_ still remembers...

>>What if you _don't_ lower the power level, but just implement the other
>>change? Infusing the non-combat scenes with magic and myth is simply a
>>matter of keeping your Glorantha Lore at the front of your mind when you're
>>creating the NPCs and plotting out the scenario, isn't it?
>
>Onviously not, since the game sessions grind to a halt when the non-action
>comes up and I can see the players' eyes glaze over with boredom (slight
>exaggeration here of course).

Obviously variations of GMing or scenario-writing technique aren't going to help in this case... and I really wouldn't know how to go about teaching people that roleplaying is fun. Personally, I just avoid gamers who are too heavily into numbers and dice. If this isn't an option, you have my condolences. :-(

(((     Jonas Schiott                   )))     Revolution
(((     Ide- och lardomshistoria        )))     is the opium
(((     Goteborg                        )))     of the intellectuals