MoonViewing

From: Claude MANZATO <cmanzat_at_scn.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 10:30:25 +0000

Hello!

This is my first post, so be forgiving, especially if I happen to tread on already overworn ground.

I am considering begining a new campaing in Glorantha with new characters.After some easy warm-up adventures, I want to lead them into a big and outrageous scenario from wich they get a chance to escape, using witt and boldness, with some nice exotics gifts in order to make them the objet of interest and manipulation by the local powers. Here goes the story:

When the Red Moon rose, the coucils of the dwarves updated their records to note the sucessfull repair of this part of the World Machine. When the Red Moon was resisted by her ennemies, the dwarves observed the effects visible on her surface and wondered if it was not damaged. A study committee was formed with instruction to monitor the correct working of the Red Moon. A largely underground telescope was built, data was collected and computing was done (ever dreamed what a dwarven computing machine looks like ?).

The results where compiled and reported to the council: the Red Moon is indeed damaged and will not work properly when the World Machine is up and running again. Another committee was formed to study the feasability of repairing it, with a sub-committee appointed to the task of providing a mean to transport an engineering team to the site. They ended up with the follwing plan; a cylendrical hole was dug in a mountain, some high-explosive mixture stored at the bottom, and a large hollow metal bullet placed upon it. When needed, the mixture will be detonated and the bullet will be projected skyward to the surface with the team inside (idea stolen from Jules Vernes book "De la terre a la lune", I have no idea of the title of the english translation).

All is ready. Only one thing is left to do, make a real size try. Finding some clueless nobodies to board the bullet and sending them to the Moon should be easy. Then, if they survive the trip (confirmed by observation thru the telescope) it will be obvious that the more resilient dwarves should be able to do the same. Anyway the pawns will be killed by the explosion of the bullet triggered after a delay by the opening of the trap used to get out, so no evidence is left until the time has come to send the real repair team.

Of course the triggering mechanism, damaged by the trip, will not function (the faultly dwarf responsible will be send for recycling) and the characters are now on the surface of the Red Moon. I expect them to run from a danger to the next, avoiding some by stealth, others by cunning, and some because they are to puny to be noticed.

It is here that I need help to flesh my story out. Anybody aware of published material on how the Red Moon surface is like ? Any idea on what is to be found there ? Ever thought of how Glorantha is like when seen from the Moon ?

I envision two way to get out for the characters; thru a magical tunnel leading them to be excreted at Moonbroth, or by walking on a Moonbow (as depicted in the digest by Graeme Willoughby).

Any help welcome !
Thanks in anticipation to all.