The Empires man in Pavis

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 18:02:44 +0800

        OK, so there is a reasonable amount of Christmas cheer speaking here - - but yes, while I found Morthander interesting initially (the Dorastor origin is a very likely element if I run that high level Lunar noble campaign that I have been threatening for a while) the stories seem a little one sided. While normally a creature of the Lunar enlightenment, I admit to a lingering desire that Garrath Sharpsword cuts Deville into small painful pieces. Personality is more important than politics whatever they say (and this from a someone whith serious involvement in a political party) and Morthander is powerful, correct, pious, and extraordinarilary irritating. Not that I want to criticise the stories, which are fine (a lot of real life politicians fit the description, minus the out of fashion swordsmanship, magic, and violence) - and if you do want to criticise the stories, I hereby proclaim that the best form of criticism is doing even better. I can readily imagine a real Morgander - I just can see a whole lot of real Heartland politicians wishing he would die quickly, and maybe even acting upon it - the last thing a religious powerbroker wants is a genuinely effective and correct fanatic, and a refined civilised one is even worse (people might pay attention to them).

        Cheers

                David