Here kitty!

From: PMichaels_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 1995 17:08:11 -0500

In Glorantha Digest V2 #298:

David Hall posits that the Orlanthi in Sartar are descended from Cat Hsunchen, and wonders if that's why no one trusts the Telmori.

David, I think you've been working in the West too long! You're starting to BELIEVE those lies about "the barbarians" being "descended from beasts!" ;-) And the reason no one trusts the Telmori is because people remember them as allies of Gbaji! They are WEREWOLVES! They steal our sheep, and our children when they can! They are CHAOS!!

Next, David goes on to decry the sorry state of Yinkin's role in Orlanthi society. As I've said before, it is my opinion that Greg Stafford missed his Gloranthan Knowledge roll when deciding what rune spell belongs to a few gods, including Yinkin. Isn't the animal best known for it's sense of smell the _dog_? Isn't one of the things cats are best known for their ability to see in the dark?

Based on this, I believe the spell Catseye belongs to Yinkin (who provides it to the Orlanthi), not Yelmalio. (more on this below) The "secret perception" spell of Identify Scent more properly belongs to Brother Dog (who would secretly provide it to Orlanth). (That's why Identify Scent _is_ such a secret! Yinkin would have a fit if Orlanth ever openly brought that *DOG* into a place of honor in Yinkin's stead! Mrrrrrrrrrroww! <hissssss>!)

One of Yinkin's (primarily magical) roles is to provide a way for his kin to see in the dark. A handy thing, whether hunting deer with your alynx in the cold predawn light of an Earth Season morning, defending the stead against trolls on a freezing Storm Season night, or descending with a Yelmalio/Elmal/whatever worshipper into the depths of a Krarsht tunnel. I expect it's a popular spell among the Orlanth Adventurous types. And, it can still be a "secret perception" which others don't expect.

Mythically, it is because of Yinkin that Orlanth was unhindered in the Lesser Darkness. It is only with the coming of the Greater Darkness (and the potential of the loss of ALL light and life) that Orlanth decides to bring back the Sun.

Of course, Yinkin also provides Orlanth with companionship and helps to keep the stead clear of rodents.

This explaination also helps to clear up the confusion of why Yelmalio, one of the "sparks of Light" amid the Great Darkness, has a spell (Catseye) which *requires* the presence of another light source to work. He doesn't! Yinkin does! Instead, I give Yelmalio the spell Brighteye, which does the same thing except the user can see in _total_ darkness and the user's eyes are back-lit (providing little white beacons for friend and enemy alike to know where the user is in the dark).

All IMHO, of course.

David also writes that, "In the Whistling Caves he's a sort of Trickster/Fool figure...."

I'm sorry, but I don't remember the story. Where is/was it, and in what way is Yinkin a Trickster figure in it?

Peace,

     Peter

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #299