hwarin & "independent" magicians

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 1996 10:09:00 -0500 (EST)

  Hi all--

  "Yorocious" asks about Hwarin info. As Loren mentioned, the long-form   of my cult writeup is available on the web (though if Yorocious does not   have web access I can certainly email it to him). I would note that   Hwarin's Conquering Daughter aspect is just the aspect most noted   amongst the people of Southern Peloria. She is, of course, an   incarnation of the Red Goddess herself and an incarnation of the Earth   Mother of Sylila. In this, she embodies the Warrior Maid, the Giving   Mother (her artisanal and fertility aspects), and the Old Woman (the   oracular/divinatory aspect). Hwarin's worship is mostly in Sylila and   Imther (possibly Vanch as well). Though she is found in Holay, she was   not able to fully incarnate as the Earth Mother of that region--Hon-eel   became such for Holay and Tarsh. And while some units of the local   provincial corps and the Heartland Corps undoubtedly follow her warrior   aspect, I do not believe that you can find her worship throughout the   Lunar armies.

  Loren also mentions the Daughter's Roads. There is some more detail on   these in Heroes #2 (or WF #12) on the Second Wane of the Lunar Empire   and also in the writeup on the Singing Road in Wyrms Footprints.

> There are two levels to the roads, supported by arches every 10 to
  30m. The upper level is narrow, 5 to 10 meters above the ground, and   used mostly for ceremonial purposes. I bet that nobles also use it   to segregate themselves from social inferiors.

  While I'm sure they would like to, the upper roads are not just   ceremonial, but highly magical with heroquesting implications. The use   of the upper level tends to draw appropriate foes to you which your   standard noble may not be prepared for. If you do use such, possible   foes include: river creatures/elementals/spirits, barbarians, grief   spirits, and your own father (yes, the Red Emperor was a foe of Hwarin   for a time). You might also encounter dream visions where your closest   friends/relatives are slain or where you must enter the depths of the   earth.

> The lower level is broad, 1 to 3 meters above the ground, and used for
  normal traffic. Arches support the roads.

  As much as possible the entire lower roadway is a gentle decline from   either Hilltown (in the case of the second road) or Filichet (in the   case of the first road) to the Oslir River crossing at the Bridge of   Phirmax. Particularly in the hilly regions coming down from Imther,   this results in some sizable valleys that are bridged where the roadway   is considerably more than 1 to 3 meters above the ground. These are   important trade routes from Imther and Holay respectively into the   empire.

  Since the "model" for the Daughter's Roads were the Roman aqueducts   there may well be a third/top level which is in fact an aqueduct to   which a river spirit has been bound by the priests of the Conquering   Daughter.

> It would be prohibitively expensive to build such roads normally, so
  the HD cult must have some amazing magic going on to make them possible.

  Quite so. Note that both major roads were built during Hwarin's   lifetime and both utilized "bound" labor to raise them (in addition to   Hwarin's own magics). Since then many lesser spurs have been built off   the main roads creating a 'web-like' effect.

  Martin Crim raised the issue of 'independent magicians'. While I think   I have a good sense of where he is coming from (since he cited my   Imtherian Keepers of Dire Secrets as an example), I think the term   'independent magicians' is misleading.

  Loren comments:
> Why do you need more atheistic magic-workers than sorcerors?...one of
  the reasons I like Glorantha so much is that magic in Glorantha is not a   morally neutral force. It is connected to cult and culture.

  I don't think Martin was implying local atheistic magic workers, just   ones who were not strictly cult priests. Your final comment about the   magical connections includes the aspect that I believe Martin was   working towards--a culturally-based LOCAL 'magic'.

  Taking a look at the Keepers of Dire Secrets in Imther: in a given   village (say an average of 100 people), there are usually 5 such women.   Usually these women are about 10 years apart in age with the oldest   perhaps around 60 or 70 and the youngest around 20 (and just starting to   learn the 'magics'). These women are initiates in the local women's   cults: Nealda the EarthMother, Khalana the Healer, or Ralaska the Hearth   Mother. They might be acolytes/priestesses, but aren't usually   (partly because most villages can't support an actual priestess, but   also because they have differing functions). Yes, these women have   basic spirit spells and use them to heal wounds, etc.

  But much of their 'magic' is not of spells. They interpret dreams, they   gather herbs and make potions (for anything from aphrodisiacs to cures   for warts to hangover cures), they read the paths of birds or the   entrails of chickens to divine omens, they study signs of local spirits   and make offerings to appease them (which I guess makes them something   of a priestess, though it lacks the ritual or ceremonial side), they   comfort women during pregnancy or giving birth (and not necessarily with   spells), they serve as confidants, hear grievances, and suggest or   provide 'curses', and they collect and tell stories and wisdom. They   also raise their own families. Basically, they handle all the lesser   'magics' of life that integrate with the greater magics of the gods and   the culture as a whole.

  In other areas, these function may be taken on by a wise woman (or wise   man or hermit, etc). Maybe in Pavis each city district has its Lore   Woman who keeps a shop where divinations (based on the lesser magics of   auguries or dream readings or palm readings) are done. Do the people   disbelieve these because they are not detected as magics? No, they are   equally valid, and they don't come with the same strings attached as a

  Divination from the Lhankor Mhy temple. Look at our own modern   'priests'--physicians. Just because they offer powerful cures does not   mean that everyone goes to them all the time. Instead they consult   friends or relatives about the best way to cure a fever or a cold or   they go to Health Stores to buy vitamins or herbal remedies. Priests   are effective but often intimidating. Gods may want more than money,   they may give strange, otherworldly answers that don't offer the comfort   of a good home remedy.

  Dane 'Danger' Johnson offers that:
> First and foremost, just about everybody can cast magic in Glorantha.
  A lot of the minor "mischief" magic can probably be handled either by   yourself or your family or your friends. The lack of minor divination   (ie, tea reading) or 'curdle milk' spells in RuneQuest doesn't   necessarily mean they don't exist in Glorantha.

  Which is quite true. And I think this is what Martin is working to do--   fill in these nooks and crannies of the local environment that gives it   a color and life beyond the local priest.

> there are always the wandering 'Adventurers' or Evil Sorcerers to
  do this sort of thing for you.

  Though this is true and undoubtedly such are used, I think most   villagers fear strangers. They are 'not us'. Giving power to one of   these strangers is VERY dangerous to the entire community. Only someone   with a total disregard for the community (or a dangerous obsession that   overwhelms such regard) would venture to bring such 'evil' or 'chaos'   into the local world. Of course, this does happen, and it makes for   interesting scenarios.

> local Trickster cultists are going to be more than happy to cause
  whatever trouble you might be willing to pay for and/or suggest, not to   mention being perfectly happy to lie to you about your future. :)

  Oh certainly, but most people know the local trickster, I believe, and   understand that there is a high risk that they will become the next   victim. Far safer to use the wise woman or man of the area.

  I would venture that Martin is not looking to create another type of   magic or magician, but is looking to acknowledge that the Gloranthans   themselves recognize things as magical that we might find commonplace,   particularly in the rural communities. Any specialized artisan work,   such as smithing and making potions, is magical. Dreams and omens are   magical as are their interpretations. Those who deal in such may be   wise or different or even mad, but are certainly used as much as any   priest IMO.

  Harald