Malkioni theology

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 13:58:42 -0500

In response to Carl and the other responses, I have a few thoughts. I have thought about the lack of a (published) eschatology, and conclude that there is at least one branch of Malkioni eschatology, despite its omission from published sources. Their eschatology might not be mainstream, but I think it's there. I base this on (1) the importance of prophecy in Malkioni thought--the main dudes are called Prophets, after all, (2) the resemblance to the terrestrial sects which possess eschatologies, and (3) the cultural resemblance between Malkionism and those earthly socities which developed eschatology. Note, however, that eschatology entered Judaism through foreign sources, and that the Book of Revelation is at the end of the Bible because the arrangers of the Canon didn't like it very much. They would have left it out except that it was erroneously attributed to a big name in the early church.

Now to argue the other side: Malkionism doesn't have an eschatology because its God doesn't act in the world. Unlike YHWH, he doesn't micromanage history. Thus, there is no cosmic melodrama requiring a happy ending. Like the ancient pagan religions of the Near East, Malkionism simply doesn't think a lot about the end of the world.

Now these are all rough ideas which could be (and probably will be) nitpicked to death. So let's synthesize and have some fun (which is why we do this, isn't it?). All IMHO, standard disclaimers apply.

Pre-Hrestoli Malkionism had no eschatology, just as it had a very sketchy description of the Creation. Eschatology erupted during the Hrestoli Upheaval, with many prophesying the end of the world during Hrestol's life.  Later, these prophecies were reinterpreted metaphorically.

A second wave of eschatological fervor began at the end of the Second Age.  Old prophecies were rediscovered, and new ones made. Again, the end of the world seemed to draw nigh.

In the intervening Ages and the time since, eschatology's favor has waxed and waned. Stability-oriented prelates sought to suppress it, while hot-headed prophet wannabes used it to gain power over mobs of followers. In the Third Age, the World of Losers movement embraces eschatology. Many contemporary Arkati speak of the return of Arkat as heralding the end of the world. So do some Orlanthi, but in a more pessimistic sense.

I don't think eschatology is prevalent in Pamaltela or the East Isles.

As for the lack of an Enemy, I agree with the post which stated that Satan's role as God's loyal opposition is relatively recent. (I borrow the phrase "God's loyal opposition" from a Woody Allen movie, but it neatly explains Satan's role in a universe ruled by an omnipotent God.) In Islam, Satan is more or less explicitly God's servant, for Allah leads astray him who he wishes to lead astray and Satan merely does Allah's bidding.

You can have a cosmic melodrama without a personalized Enemy, but the two tend to go hand in hand. Thus, I think the eschatology-minded Malkioni are the ones most likely to see the handiwork of the Devil around them, and to interpret every historical enemy as a servant or avatar of the Devil.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #323