corianders

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 15:06:00 -0500 (EST)

  Hi--

  Brian writes:
> Is it a typo, coincidence, or an annoying decision on the parts of
  the authors that there are no less than 3 characters named Coriander?

  I can't speak for the authors, but this was a part I really liked about   Sun County. Whether you look at English names (Michael, John, Thomas)   or most others, you find a fairly limited number of names commonly used   by people. Hence, the need for nicknames, placenames, surnames, etc.   But this feels real. Why should everyone have a different name? The   use of common names is just another aspect of social binding. Those   with differing names are clearly strangers.

> Talk about confusing to players... "Are you Coriander, the leader of
  the Bird Men?"; "Why do you ask?"; "Cause he owes us money!";   "Then...no, I'm not."

  This is bad? As a GM I've generally found my players quite amused in   such situations. It also raises great opportunities to test those Human   Lore skills or those Suspicious/Trusting traits (if you use such as I   do). And if you do find it too confusing for your players, its not that   hard to change the name to one that is unique or simply in your example   have the person say "Yes, I am."

  Harald

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #338