On the nature of Squids

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 12:32:53 +1300

Ingo Tschinke:

>But I disagree that then the priest have to form up a
>chaos being to but the bad stigma into this creature. IMO the boristi take
>through this more risks to fall to the chaotic side of Gbajis illumination
>(see conclusions in the end).

But it is believed by everybody that Tapping Chaos is Bad for You. So why can't the Boristi believe this? And if you still dislike the concept of having to make a chaotic creature, what about the alternative of creating a familiar as a Chaos Sink (which I believe to be the most common method used)?

Furthermore the fact that every Borist Wizard has a Chaos Familiar does not mean the place is as infested like Downtown Dorastor. I imagined their use of Chaos to be like the Krashti (secretive but effective). 'It was awful how the Inquisitor was just about to announce who was the Boristi when Invisible Monsters rent him from limb to limb. We could hear the screaming for days afterwards...'

>The Boristi are more like the lunars in accepting the illumination IMO.

They are? I thought the Arkati were the people who accepted Illumination and the Boristi hate Arkat. One does not need to be an Illuminate to detect Illumination BTW. The Dara Happans had developed a process to detect whether somebody was Illuminated (although it was 'messy') during one of their purges of Illumination. The Boristi could easily have a similar process involving long periods of 'interrogation'.

>In your view the Boristi churchman have to get real chaotic creatures. If
>they would work all their times to form chaos creature and think they would
>get chaotic by themself. This would not work for over 1000 years of existence.

My description was for what the Boristi are like now. They may have been standard Assasins of Chaos in bygone ages but their perceptions on how a Pious Malkioni should behave was gradually been eroded due to centuries of repression and way too much exposure to Chaos (as both you and Sandy have mentioned). The excuses as to why they create Chaotic Creatures ('We need to do it to get rid of the bad stigma in us!') or have Chaotic Familiars ('So I can remain eternally pure of Chaos's Foul Taint') would be seen as a vile parody by the original Boristi. Little wonder everybody persecutes them (although IMO the avearge non-wizard Boristi has little or no contact with Chaos).

>I do not think the boristi are cahotic!!

Neither do they. They think Everybody Else to be chaotic because they have not been Shriven. Even the most enthusiastic user of Chaos among the Boristi is Free from its Foul Taint. To them, Chaos is like Water on a Duck's Back. In the event that a Boristi does get a Chaos Feature, it is considered a Tragic Event, and the poor victim is purified on a funeral pyre. This is the only thing that prevents the Boristi from becoming Out-and-out Chaotics like the Guild of Chaos Monks.

All IMO.