RQ Con DU - out of the depths

From: Barbara Braun <zbraun_at_minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:34:48 +1100 (EDT)

G'day this is Andrew Bean emailing (another of the "Unholy Trio").

Well MOB has said most of it already so I'll just chip in some of my memories. Everyone has told me they had a ball. Even the hardened 10 year veterans of Australian cons which was a pleasant surprise.

The organising all ran smoothly as MOB, John and I fit into our assigned roles. However this is probably due to all the volunteers who helped out throughout the con. MOB has mentioned the significant ones but I would like to also thank the others who did an hour here or there when we needed them. There was probably over 10 of them and it all added up. Thankyou.

I spend most of my time running around making sure the canteen was stocked and doing bank runs or on the book stall so I missed most of the seminars and other activities so boy am I looking forward to the transcripts. I did catch Greg's "Stafford speaks" and his insight into Illumination and the Red Goddess's link to Nysalor and Yelm was truly fascinating. Also my Lore auction question of "do you initiate into pantheons or individual gods ?" was answered as "into Pantheons" from Greg has made my year. HotB was a blast and everyone is still talking about it with enthusiasm. I successfully saved Temertain from assassination and became a certified Hero (depsite my best efforts to be as incompetent as possible. I was Aleham Ratsbane).

Everyone has commented on how friendly and intimate the con was. No-one was standing around bored, you could always drop into someone else's conversation about Glorantha if you had a moment free. The games that were there to be played sounded as if they were all fun. I certainly enjoyed the Rose Briar Knight (damn fairies can't be trusted). Loki the Unsworn failed to turn up to run his Cthulhu and as such should never be trusted at another Con again!!

I got some goodies at the auction (although the people who turned up 45 minutes before it with copies of the Big Rubble etc to sell could have helped us by getting their act together before the Con). So if you thought we didn't know how many copies of stuff we had to sell you were right <sigh>.

I entertained a bunch of the overseas visitors at my parents farm after the Con which was fun. The highlight was going to a waterfall and being caught in a huge downpour just as we arrived. As John said it was Far Point on any afternoon at 2 o'clock. Which prompted a bunch of us Orlanthi to go out and do a quick dance in the rain.

On the subject of which we had the weirdest weather around the Con. It is the middle of summer here and although the weather is changeable in Melbourne we had one 30 degree day and then during HotB we had huge downpours and freezing winds and even some hail at one point. The Lunar High Holy Day was a cold affair (even before an orlanthi caused it to snow on us in the game). Strange and vicious thunderstorms abounded for days afterwards (is Orlanth stirring against his crimson bonds .....)

Hopefully we will do this again in a couple of years (depending on survey responses). A health warning to any future organisers: my headache lasted 3 days after the con and my shoulders were really tense for a similar period. I still plan to go and see a masseuse. But it was definitely worth it !!

Cheers, Andrew
PS I agree with Peter that we need more attendees responses. What really happened out there whilst we organisers were haunting the shadows?

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #348