Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #356

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 13:09:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996 owner-glorantha-digest_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu wrote:

> From: "Erik Sieurin" <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
> Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 16:41:04 +0100
> Subject: How come the West became One?
>
> At the Risk of sounding as an Old Whiner: oh, how glorious the days
> when the Rokari didn't allow any caste mobility, and people "was
> born, lived and died within the same caste",

I couldn't agree more with this, and the rest of your post.

> ...everyone wants the West to be as similar to Western Europe
> Late Middle Ages as possible, for some unfathomable reason

Personally I see Westerners as being more humanistic and gnostic (i.e. Pico della Mirandola.)
There's no point in doing the Malkioni as another medieval Europe, we've seen it before. Orphism and Hermetism are as much in the root cellar of the western mind-set as Christianity.

> While the Poor Westerners All Are Bastards, Their Faith A Sham, Their
> Society A Disgrace.

Familiarity breeds contempt.
Andrew Behan