Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #388

From: Paul Heinz <paul_at_profax.co.nz>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:06:22 1997

Paul Heinz here.

Thanks for the feed back about my troll musings.

Peter Metcalfe
- --------------
> FWIW The representation of Zorak Zoran has the Third Eye is used by
> non-Trolls who deny his trollish ancestry. The trolls don't
> particularly care about eyes (cf the lack of attention paid to them
> in the non-troll Kyger Litor initiation ceremony). I'm not aware of
> the reason why ZZ has three as the only association that springs to
> mind is enlightenment (which I reject for obvious reasons). I'm not
> sure any troll would recognize ZZ and XU as being Not-Trolls ('Them
> Humanz talk enlo crap!').

Yes, this third eye business seems strange for trolls who are essentially non-visual creatures. However, The imagery of the third eye _being_ the seared navel was too much for Nick and I to resist!

On the point of ZZ and XU being not-trolls, I believe trolls would say they are 'not of the mother' as they have grossly disobeyed her and have been disowned and thus are 'not-a-troll' as being a troll is synonomous as being 'of the mother' and part of the matriarchy.

Oh, and ZZ is more 'not-a-troll' than XU. I'm still thinking about where XU fits in all this. Perhaps Pam can help me out with this. I understand disobedient sons more than I understand disobedient daugters :-)

> Fire is not forbidden to the Trolls but is Death Incarnate in their
> eyes (Death having naplamed their Ancestors in Hell). They fear it
> in the same way humans fear the grave IMO. Thus the Zorak Zorani are
> akin to Humakti in Human eyes, methinks, as Death-obsessed fanatics.
> This of course fits well with your suggestion that fire is used to
> cut^H^H^H sear (damn the humakti monomyth!) the link with the mother
> in the Zorak initiation ceremony.

Personally, I imagine raw fire _IS_ forbidden to trolls, especially male trolls. Trollish bonesmiths (metalworkers) use heat _without_ fire to smelt their metal and even they are considered the villains and bogeymen of trollish children stories. Trolls do not need to cook their meat, they eat food in the raw or decayed state (better!).

Yes, Trolls fear Fire and forbid it, but I believe they fear the Black Eater even more. Trolls _know_ the void, as darkness is first born of it, Fire is more something dangerous and foreign.

Erik Sieurin
- ------------
> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 13:29:02 +0100
> VERY good, indeed. Couldn't it be said that Kygor Litor is The Troll,
> the Ur-model for How A Troll Should Really Be? Fits really well in
> with her role as "culture goddess" for the Uz.

Yes, exactly. Kyger Litor is 'The Troll' and Karrg is her son and he better bloody well do as he's told and not go seeking fire like that damn Zorak Zoran did.

> And over to Lords of Terror again:
> I hope others also have noticed the following:
> The race that stems from Bagog is called scorpion _men_, but
> (probably out of a sense of political correctness and the plain fact
> that the critters are matriarchal) in the Bagog writeup the word "she"
> is used as general personal pronoun.
> This results in some really weird sentences. "If a scorpion MAN wants
> to do A, SHE has to...." etc.
>
> Thus we need a general term for "scorpion man" which is FEMININE.
> Since there is an OBVIOUS analogy in "merman-mermaid", whe should
> talk about SCORPION MAIDS. (Associations to hard rock and the Little
> Mermaid can be pointedly ignored).

I thought that Scorpian Queens don't tolerate many other females around and hence try to birth all their children as mainly male. Perhaps Bagog has the power to choose the sex of the eggs she lays to a large extent ?

TTFN,
  Paul.

Paul Heinz
Profax International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand E-mail: paul_at_profax.co.nz
#include <disclaimer.h>