Pharandros's birthdate

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:18:38 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

In his thesis about Moraides reign, Joerg refers to something that I haven't tackled him on yet. He has been dating Pharandros's birth to 1602 ST for reasons unknown.

>(compare Wyrm's Footnotes 12 - I find it highly
>unlikely that Pharandros would marry a woman at least 14 years his elder)

I presume this is under the new date of birth for Pharandros. However if Pharandros was born in 1582, we wouldn't have this problem. Unless there's something in WF12 (I don't have the text) that makes this impossible.

>There is only the unluckily placed "date" of Moirades' death in the Tarsh
>king list, and the birth year of Pharandros calculated from that, indicating
>at this course of events.

Umm? Pharandros's birth is dated as occuring shortly after his father's ascension as King of Tarsh, not his date of his father's death!

>My current impression is that Pharandros and Estal Donge are the children of
>Moirades and Harsta Vostosdotter, Fazzur's sister. Since her birth-date is
>given as 1568, I have the impression that 1582 is a little bit early for
>Pharandros' birth, though Lunar standards may vary. (Source: Wyrms Footnotes
>#12, p.16)

Could you please spell out what is causing your problem? You seem to be radically changing the date of Pharandros's birth on the grounds that Moraides is unlikely to have married a fourteen year old girl (which is not unusal in the middle ages BTW).