Lodril and his Monster

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:28:50 +0800

> Monster Man is a subcult of the Lodril Cult (White Wolf
>Writeup).
        I wasn't even aware of its existence. I really wish I had it myself.
        What does it say about him?

> Whether he was originally a seperate person than Lodril
>is not really relevant. He is _seen_ as the Dark Side of Lodril
>in the same way that in Dara Happa, Arkat is seen as the Dark Side
>of Nysalor but we know that he is a seperate person.

        It was more how his relationship with Lodril is seen, rather than whether they are separate. He is definately a defeated enemy of Lodril, while the 'Dark Side of' term to me implied a relationship more like Gorgorma/ Dendara. I think he represents a good reason to worship Lodril by showing how bad things were before Lodril, and he is also a servant, who Lodril can release when the people do bad things. Compare Daga and Orlanth, though Monster Man is far more important to the Lodrili than Daga is to the Orlanthi.

>What I was trying to say is
>that originally ZZ was originally like Deshkorgos only that he was
>for another region

        And I don't think that ZZ is a figure much like Deshkorgos/Derdromos. They have a few things in common, like monstrousness, hunger, darkness, cruelty, etc. ANd I admit there are a few interesting echoes in the myths (ZZ stealing Yelmalios fire, Derdromos stealing Lodrils heat).

        But when it comes down to it, ZZ is a god of Death, not the God of the Dead. Being God of the Dead is about ruling the Underworld, not at all about killing people (everyone dies in the end anyway, why bother hurrying it). I see the two roles as quite distinct, and I see ZZ and Monster Man both fitting clearly into the two different roles. ZZ seems almost entirely a surface world god, who kills people and sends them to the underworld. Monster Man seems almost entirely an Underworld God.

        To put it one way, I think ZZ Esrolian earth pantheon counterpart would be Maran Gor or Babeester Gor. But I think Monster Mans earth pantheon counterpart is Ty Kora Tek.

        Cheers

                David

	The Gods only know how to compete or echo - Gilgamesh
	He whose face gives no light, shall never become a star.
					-William Blake