The Tao of Illumination

From: Dennis Hoover <dhoover_at_interramp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:41:34 -0500

Nick Fortune asks:

>Odd musings: Did Nysalor invent Illumination, or did he just teach people
how
>to attain that state?

Yelm became illuminated long before Nysalor came along (described in Glorious ReAscent of Yelm), though whether he was first or a certain Goddess discovered it before him is unknown.

Andrew Bean writes:

> I could ignore a spirit of reprisal because I see nothing wrong about
being a
>darkness worshipper and using Sunspear in the same breath

I think people commit all manner of crimes without thinking there is anything wrong with what they're doing, not because they are illuminated, but because they are psychopathic. I don't think this fools spirits of reprisals.

Greg talked a little about illumination at the Heroquest Talk Down Under. In discussing the Chastity and Lust personality traits he said (as best I can remember) that being illuminated didn't mean being able to go back and forth at will between Chastity and Lust. Illumination is experiencing the impossible. I asked whether it meant that someone could be Chaste and Lustful at the same time, and he said yes. I see it as something like the Taoist idea that the opposites are just names, and if you could experience the Tao, Chastity and Lust lose their meaning.

If this does not entirely make sense to someone (and I confess it doesn't to me), then I'd say that person was not illuminated. If it did make sense, it might drive him insane ;-).

Later,
Dennis