A New Gloranthan Product That is Needed.

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 18:41:59 GMT

Those of you who were old enough to be wasting money during the RQ2 days will remember that Chaosium published a book called RUNEMASTERS which was nothing but a collection of stats for Rune Levels (One Lord, one Priest and one Lord-Priest: gosh those dear dead days) for each of the cults in CULTS OF PRAX. It was, perhaps, the least thought out and least useful product ever for any roleplaying  game.

But it struck me last week when I re-used the Kaarg's Son from the Munchrooms for the umpteenth time in a scenario that there would be a market for a book of Gloranthan characters fully statted out but with character, background and suggested adventure seeds for each. Something like SJG's SUPPORTING CAST but better. RQ characters are too complex to create easily off the cuff and I tend to reuse the same stats over and over.

If anyone from Chaosium or Avalon Hill is reading this would they care to give a response? I'd be interested in putting something together if they are.

Andrew obeserved that he felt hostile towards:

> the vile
> economists who definitely dabble in dark arts they do not understand and
> should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. Before the
> lawyers who have at least the decency to admit that they are constructing
> an artificial system to exploit you to their own gain. :-)

Personally, I feel it is the accountants who need to be taken down a peg or two!

> I have just
> given physics examples because they are something from my own field. My
> girlfriend went to a lecture on "Deconstructionism of gender in writing"
> which I suspect is an English Departments way of going about gaining
> their own illumination. I think it sounds like a load of wanky droppings
> but Barbara assured me I would of enjoyed it and the above thought is
> probably an example of the limits of my world-view than an accurate
> assessment of the talks worth].

No, as an English graduate I can assure you that your first assesment was probably the accurate one. (Hmm, I wonder if my tutor, the well-known Marxist Catholic Terry Eagleton was trying to illuminate me. If so has it worn off yet?)

Actor and Genius.
AKA Theophilus, Prince-Archbishop of the Far Isles (Arms: Purpure, an open book proper, without clasps. On the dexter page the Greek letter Alpha or. On the sinister page the letter Omega of the same. Motto: nulla spes sit in resistendo.)
Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better living through pan-medieval anachronisms.