Re: God's Knowledge

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 13:15:50 EST

Lewis bravely adds many points, just when I was going to give up and agree with those who think it's hogwash ;-)
> Finally, think of Issaries who hears and understands every word said in
> tradetalk within an area sanctified to him (such as markets!)... Maybe,
> I should limit it to every word said by the gods initiates. After all
> it is the thought, not the spoken word the god hears.

Except the original idea was that the words themselves formed a ceremony and one way link to the God. Therefore enemies of Issaries (thieves?) would try never to talk about their plans in tradetalk in a market. Of course, the caveat on this whole idea whereby the God's knowledge is greater than some people like, is that the God do not trust their worshippers (a given in most things abotu G I've read) totally and therefore won't *give* information to a worshipper unless *they* thing it's important. So it dosen't change the way G works, it only changes it on the meta-level.

After all, I can't see L.Mhy/I.Ontor et al not having a large knowledge-base, and always wanting more. Of course, their problem is that their "language" is the written word, which includes a ceremony, not the spoken word. So for them to "know" something other than the other methods already mentioned (eg. worshippers in ceremony, dead worshipper, friendly gods) it has to be written down.

Robert McArthur

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #445