Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #446

From: Lantis <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 18:35:45 -0800

From: Argrath_at_aol.com

>> A flaw in your analysis: what happens if the priest/lord
>>is Illuminated? Wouldn't the ally report on all his misdeeds?
>
>What you consider a flaw, I consider an opportunity for roleplaying and
>story-telling. The allied spirit will be telling on the priest or lord, but
>the god either a) won't believe the ally ("Hey, man, I checked his soul, he's
>clean") or b) can't do anything about it. The ally will be morose and snippy
>as a result.

What is the point of an ally "telling on" a character, if the god is powerless to act on this knowlege? Or do you advocate priests learning about such things through divination?

The illumination writeup does not imply that one has to deal with an uncooperative allied spirit, after becoming illuminated. I'm sorry, I consider the ally to be a spiritual guide and companion. Not a loyalty officer or spy (with possible exceptions made for bizarre cults)

>>I further consider an ally to be a personification of one's
>>subconciousness [sic].
>
>What, all of the subconscious? "Excuse me, Wind Lord, but why is your Shadow
>Cat trying to simultaneously kill and mate with me?"

I worded that badly, I suppose...

I'm trying to not write massive diatribes about my mutant Gloranthan beliefs. They are partly based on the "second self" concept advocated by various people, in which allied spirits, fetches, and familiars are all extensions of the spell caster's spirit, even though they appear to be external entities.