Allied spirits

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 20:41:02 -0500

>From: "Steven E. Barnes" <akuma_at_best.com>

>The realtionship with an ally is not adversarial, except perhaps
>in paranoid cults such as Krarsht. As such, your ally doesn't "rat"
>on you. A flaw in your analysis: what happens if the priest/lord
>is Illuminated? Wouldn't the ally report on all his misdeeds?
>In fact, it would be able to immediatly spot the psychological
>change, should the character suddenly become Illuminated.

This has been debated, and I don't think a consensus was ever reached. I personally have no idea what would happen if a character with an ally became Illuminated, and the ally didn't/wasn't.

>I further consider an ally to be a personification of one's
>subconciousness. It will only rat on you if you have a subconcious
>desire to be punished. This is a possible explaination of how
>Illuminates can ignore cult restrictions.

But some allies are the spirits of former worshippers. My own last ally was a dead human's revenant, bound into my dagger by Danfive Xaron. He had been a real person. He had nothing to do with my character's subconscious.

Maybe in YOUR Glorantha, allies are reflections of the subsconsious. - --

Dueling Modems, Inc.                    http://www.sfrt.com/sfrt/

"So I am humble, and proud of it . . ."     - John Ney Rieber