Re: Magic vs Psychology

From: Nick Fortune <nick_at_nymar.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 00:00:50 GMT

David Dunham:
> Pshaw. Big Hralf's Big Shout has *always* worked before. But here's a bloke
> it doesn't work on -- pretty scary! Hralf can psych himself out. And
> Hralf's buddy does his wammy and sprains his own wrist doing the mystic
> gestures.

I'll see that pshaw and raise you a harumph. First, It is highly unlikely that Big Hralf's Big Shout has always worked before - unless he is some sort of superhero with power approaching infinity. Of course, I lack detailed knowledge of the Greydog stalwart Mr.Brooke used in his example, and so this may in fact be the case. For a hypothetical Big H, however, I suspect his spells fail from time to time, just like most folks.

Secondly, I picked the way in Hralf justified the spell failure as a random, if slightly irreverent, example. I can think of several equally valid possibilities, ranging from someone who understands exactly what has happened, but is unable to profit from the knowledge, through to the chap who suddenly finds himself so dispirited that he hasn't even noticed if the target of his demoralise spell was affected or not. Any could be appropriate, IMO, depending on the character and the circumstances. I'd say this was a GM call and I really wasn't expecting anyone to take issue with it.

Thirdly, I really can't see the "sprains own wrist" idea for disruption. I suppose that if you think of disruption spells as causing mini fumbles or psychosomatic damage, then maybe. Myself, I always thought of a disruption spell as a generic (pardon my french) magic missile spell - probably a bolt of energy, though I expect the mechanism varies with the source of the spell. I would expect the mechanism by which a reflected disruption causes damage to be identical with the mechanism with which the unreflected spell would have caused damage to its target. Once again though, it's a GM call and YMMV.

All of which is nit-picking, of course. I am a little confused as to what I suggested that warranted being pshawed.

> I think the truth is somewhere in between -- shouting alone doesn't
> demoralize your opponent, but calmly casting the spell as if pulling the
> trigger on a crossbow doesn't cut it either.

That, sir, was my point.

Nick Fortune                                         nick_at_nymar.demon.co.uk
+++ Sense Of Humour Down For Maintainence +++ Witticism Unavailable +++