A cat and a God Learner hat

From: Ramos-Tavener, Doyle Wayne <st670_at_Jetson.UH.EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 00:06:28 -0600 (CST)

And Loren Miller writes:

>I'm thinking here about how this might work in the game rules.

Oops. Guess the cat's out the bag on this one.

However, I would like to know, Loren, to what extent we can discuss mechanics here. I have not seen much of them since I subscribed, until you had brought them up. Since you are Computer Guy, I'll take my lead from you. I must admit, this is the sort of discussion that I wanted to have.

Peter Metcalfe writes:

>While I can't speak for my Evil Twin, Spiffy, the God Learners were heirs
>to a culture that had fought a brutal war against the the practitioners
>of Illumination and wiped it off the face of the earth. To say that some
>of them explored illumination and did not realize what exactly they were
>exploring seems unlikely IMO.

I'm afraid you miss part of my point. To be specific, It seems to me possible that the Gl's struggled with the impact of the _conception_ that all constructions are untrue, while not realizing that this was the spiritual insight offered by Nysalor. I say possible because I don't really know, nor can I intuit, what actual knowledge the God Learners possessed regarding Illumination. I think I'll have to read the original Stafford transcription before I make up my mind. But I do think it is possible to struggle with this conception (as many people struggle with it in Our World) without benefit of Illumination or Illuminates.

>The God Learner 'struggle' would have look like this:
>
>GL: The Empire of the Deciever knew magical secrets which allowed them
>to ignore cult restrictions without fear of reprisal among other things.
>The secrets was wiped out by Arkat. The question remains: how did they
>manage to do this? And more importantly, how can we replicate their
>discipline without falling into the lure of the deciever?

I do believe that the struggle that Stafford was describing was more along the lines of a moral and intellectual anxiety, as opposed to "Cool! How do we do that!", but, like I said, I'll have to read the original address to make up my mind for sure. I will keep your opinion in mind, though, and report back to you.

Thanks

Doyle