consciousness and cultural references

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:38:33 +0800

>It's time to play "Find the Obscure Cultural Reference"! If anyone can tell
>me the reference in the Entekosiad to a parody of a classic Italian film,
>I'll declare him the winner! The winner receives absolutely nothing of
>value. Void where prohibited or restricted.

        perhaps you are referring to Hare stealing a column of ice, which could be construed as a referrence to The Icicle Thief, a parody of the classic Italian film The Bicycle thief (I've only seen the parody, though)? Hare is referred to as 'the icycle thief' in the footnotes. What do I win?

        now, back to less important things, such as the nature of Gloranthan reality and consciousness

        I agree with Loren that Doyle has identified an important problem to be solved.

        But I don't think there can be a single answer, a single metasystem for states of consciousness that we can create. I don't think that it is impossible to work such things into the game, though, just difficult to do. I think we need a few mechanics that we can use, certainly. But then we need to examine each case individually.

        I think personality traits, passions, etc. are a good place to start, and then the various states must be dealt with on their own merits, to see if we need to represent the internal changes to a character in some game way.

>Heroquest Conciousness

        heroquesting is certainly a different state of consciousness - but I don't think its necessarily something that we need to keep track of in the same way as others. I think those who have heroquested are more likely to end up in the heroquest state again, but I think this is because of the repercussions of their acts, rather than changes to themselves

>Illumination

        I think the way we keep track of it now is fine, and in any case it needs to be treated differently to other things. We only need to work out how it effects other beliefs and desires. There were some interesting things along these lines talked about at the RQ Con DU Heroquest seminar, I think along the lines that illuminates could have things about their consciousness that would be impossible to others.

>Runequest Sight (I don't know about this one. Is it more a magical technique
>or state of conciousness?

        The only coherent explanation I have actually heard about the God Learners talked about a specific God-Learning magical technique, but I am not sure if that is the same as the RuneQuest Sight.

>Initiate
>
>Priest
>
>Shamanhood

        These are the ones that really have to be addressed - but how? My feeling is that the differences betweens a priest and an initiate are a matter of degree, the priest status being really a change in magical status (not an internal change), but one that gives greater access to the magical techniques that do alter the consciousness.

        Obviously there is some change in consciousness upon entering shamanhood, but again, is this something we need to quantify in game terms? The changes to a characters behaviour from being able to see things other people can't see are going to be so great anyway.

        And then there are the restricted shaman priests, such as KL and Aldrya, who sit halfway between priests and shamans, where do they fit in?

        Cheers
                Dave