My, am I philosophical today!

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 22:30:39 +1200

Michael Raaterova:

Me>>Tarkalor, Moraides and Sartar are not being dishonest when they claim
>>to be KoDP but they are still KoDP in name only.

>Politically it matters not what Queen of the Land the would-be King
>marries. It is a matter of propaganda to be able to claim that the woman
>actually IS the Queen of the Land. If the people believe you to be the KoDP
>you are, in all practical matters, and gain the worldly benefits thereof.
>Being KoDP in name only is the only way to be KoDP. Language is reality.
>There is no one true way of being KoDP, unless stated in the way i just did
>(that is a paradox in name only).

No, but I had stated that it originally conveyed some _otherworldly_ benefits which had now been lost. Having the people believe that you are such-and-such who can do this-and-that does not automatically confer the ability to do this-and-that IMO. One still has to do a HeroQuest (or ritual) to gain the ability. The Red Emperor has enough hoplites with steel boots and enough secret police with red hot pokers to make his subjects believe whatever he wants but this does not confer him the ability to do whatever he wants. It is in this sense that I referred to so-and-so 'being KoDP in name only'. The political benefits are real enough but the otherworldy benefits that were enjoyed by the original KoDP are not enjoyed by Tarkalor et al.

Jesper Wahrner:

I compared the Storm-Voice's lightning bolt to that of the RW Alchemists making of phosphor in that both are the results of valid processes despite the performers of the processes having imperfect understanding thereof. Jesper said that the modern chemistry world-view is still subjective like the alchemists but then goes on to add:

> Objective reality in this case is only the actual result of the
> experiment. Any attempt to explain it lies within the subjective.
> It is my belief that Gloranthan magic can go further than this and
> objectify the explanation as well.

I fail to understand how this could be so. I would have thought the 'results of the magic' would fall into the same category as 'results of experiment' when exploring reality and thus any attempt to derive an explanation from this would _still_ be subjective.