Mostali

From: Lewis Jardine <JARDINE_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:29:04 +0100 (BST)

Hi All

        I totally agree with the sentiments expressed recently on the wierdness of Mostali & Dwarfs and that there should be NO mostali PCs. I allow apostate heratic dwarfs as PCs but these are very broken so one would expect severe behavioural disorders...

        In my version of Glorantha Mostali are even wierder than most humans think.

  1. They have a semi-hive mind like a distributed computer system networked together. The individual units (Dwarfs) are as intelligent as a human, but they have access to the vast data (knowledge) of the entire network. These networks are formed around hubs (Mostali and some advanced Dwarfs).
  2. Dwarfs *think* in Octal, thus they are very good at calculations which greatly aids their engineering skills. In a world where human engineers work by experience and suck-it-and-see skills Mostali calculate the correct answers and run complex finite-element computational fluid dymanics simulations to check the answer!
  3. Of course this bias towards calculation does limit the *human-type* social and interactive skills so thus the reputation of dour taciturn dwarfs.
  4. True Dwarfs & Mostali do not use Sorcery! Instead they use their own system of *magic* which is strongly biased towards the Stasis Rune. Mechanics is the original Mostali magic system, it uses the engineering concepts of time, distance and mass to create constructs which affect the current state of the World Machine. Unfortunately, due to the damage to the World Machine other effects are at work such as Friction and Entropy. Friction is the major problem for most dwarfs using mechanics as it makes their constructs much harder to errect. If the World Machine was repaired it would disappear and Mostali would again resume Control...

I have written up Mostali Magical Mechanics in full and they are awaiting publication in TotRM. However, due to csh-flow and a slow publication rate they are not scheduled to appear soon. So if you want to see them pester David Hall (but not too hard as he is a busy man and most of Tales delays are not due to him!). Alternatively, if you publish a zine email me and we'll see.

Well that's enough for now.

Cheers

        Lewis