Humakt vs Malia

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 07:22:16 -0500

Peter Metcalfe:
> The ultimate point was not whether the culture's perceptions of disease
> being evil is a legitimate belief to hold but whether it is possible for
> a diety which represents a force 'that kills indiscriminately' to be a
> constructive member of society.

> The Orlanthi worship Humakt whom they acknowlege is _Death_ and yet
> they see him as Good! Given the normal human reaction to Death
> (something to be feared), surely Humakt should be an evil being?
> So what is to prevent Malia from being a 'good' diety in Glamour
> or other select parts of the Empire?

        The Orlanthi see more than just the Death Rune when they look at Humakt, they see Truth and Honor. Humakt is "Death, the Stern Warrior". He is mostly worshipped by people who are dedicated warriors, or who are about to go into a big fight.

        Malia is another matter. She will infect and/or kill anyone without compunction. She has no redeeming features (such as truth or honor). Humakt is quite satisfied with those who seek him out; Malia compels worship more or less as a protection racket....

David Ford:
> .....I don't have access to Nomads Gods, so I was wondering does
> anyone know why some broo allied themselves with the Praxians
> against the Lunars at Moonbroth.

        It's been a while since I read NG, but I seem to remember the Broos as being largely mercenary. They would temporarily ally with any tribe desperate enough to hire them... As far as Moonbroth is concerned, I would say somebody hired them, to keep the Lunars from being able to; "better they fight with us, then that they should join the enemy".

                Andrew

PS Glorantha-Con IV, January 24th-26th 1997, Ramada Hotel O'Hare (Chicago)

    This message brought to you by Orlanth-Cola, a real Windy City drink!