Atchoo! It must be Malia!

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:00:18 +1200

Nick Effingham:

Liked the writeup!

Fantome:

>Malia brings about death _much_ differently to Humakt. The effect of death
>is the same, the method of execution is different, and it is the method of
>execution which is important for distinguishing subjective evil, good or
>somewhere inbetween. If Malia _only_ did the cleanup work after death, I do
>not think we would be having this discussion as to whether or not she is evil.

I am not concerned with subjective evil. The point which you fail to grasp is could Malia be seen as _subjectively_good_ by someone! That is why I brought up Humakt.

Me>> And yet the RW disease masters who work with them are seen as forces of
>> Good, are they not? Why cannot we have an analogue with these noble
>> people in glorantha?

>The RW 'disease masters' are the equivalents of CA, Teelo Norri, Ernalda
>healers etc. on Glorantha who battle diseases, not propigate them.

No they are not. They have no ability to prevent diseases which the Disease Masters in both worlds _have_.

Me>> 'To stop the creeping chills ravaging you this winter, I recommend
>>you go to Malia Theresa (brill name that) and ask her to fill you with
>>a special healing spirit to ward the illness off'.

>Of the following I'm sure. If asked, the CA healers could provide a result at
>least as efficacious as proprietaty worship. However, it probably wouldn't be
>as cost effective.

But they *can't* according to the roolz. Surely they should be able to do so if they could. Rather a suspicious oversight don't you think?

>Malia has changed (warped) from her original healing and growth beginnings.

I don't think she was warped. She was always the Goddess of bacterium which she retains to this day. When Death was introduced into the world some of her children became tainted with it and became the Ancestral Plagues. Check out the description of the Malia's diseases and compare it against the the Native American experience with Smallpox and other introduced diseases.

>It is true that she can now give _some_ effectiveness against disease. But
>this does not in itself a healing cult make.

I agree Good Intentions are also needed.

Me>> I am saying that the belief of Malia as the Foul Mistress of Disease
>>as described in the CoT is a similar construct which can be modified
>>and is in some parts of the Lunar Empire.

>What's in a name if a thorn no longer acts as a thorn. But it is does get
>confusing and IMHO unecessarily complicated.

What's there to get complicated about:

LUNAR PoV: By our Liberating Truths we have managed to free Malia from her compulsion to destroy.

Non-LUNAR PoV: Them Lunar Bluiddy-backs have taken to worshipping Foul Malia. The Mad Fools! Kill them all!

>My arguments against Malia as a healing cult are and were based on
>the cult as being portrayed as in the cult writeup, and the nature
>of Malia herself.

But the Writeup only reflects the PoV of Broos and the nature of Malia given in that writeup reflects that PoV. Does the Pelorian Form of Waha rail as strongly against 'soft civilization' as the Praxian one?

Richard Melvin:

>But what exactly does this cult have in common with the Broo/Orlanthi
>cult of the Disease Master? IMHO, not very much in anything other than
>a god-learner sense (whatever that means). In particular, I can't
>believe it would use the name Malia - this seems to be known to the
>people of the Empire as an evil godess, and so using that name would be
>about as likely as naming a boy Satan today.

The Empire also worships the cult of Nysalor who was 'known' to be Evil before the Red Goddess. I think the Authorities will be keen to promote the linkage as evidence for the Liberating Truths of the Lunar Way. If they hid the linakge then we would have less MGF IMO.

>In fact, if I recall correctly, the Lunars already have a godess that
>fills this role (Queen Deezola?), so I can't see them needing another
>one.

Only one of several healing goddesses. According to a rumours column in ToTRM (I forget the number), her healing spells are somewhat different.