Darksense, sky funerals

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 14:41:00 PDT

Neil:

>I was watching a wildlife programme about dolphins over the weekend
which mentioned a couple of applications of dolphins' sonar. These could be easily applied to the Uz.

I agree - to an extent. The difference is that sound (compression) waves travel very efficiently in water, but not so well in air. Therefore, if Gloranthan sound physics is thse same as Earth's (not at all necessary), then troll sonar would be less efficient than dolphins'. I imagine it would be more like a bat's. Still, troll sonar might have physical effects if they place their forehead (the source of the sound?) against the target, thus keeping the sound waves in the dense, water filled medium of flesh.

It's also been suggested that sperm whales can stun their prey with large blasts of sound - particually in dense, deep water. This may be a power of sea trolls? The effect would be slight, (maybe like a Disruption?) as sea trolls don't weigh 50 tons. Also handy for Gloranthan cetaceans.

>Sky burial:

Yelmalion burial practices always seemed incongruous to me: the lost power of Fire is used to turn the body into hot Air (and smoke). Instead, I propose that Yelmalions bury their dead by placing them on platforms for various birds of prey to visit the body and carry it direct to the Sky. Apparently, many RW cultures use this method.

Fire has been lost magically, but the physical power of fire is still available, as it is an ancient gift to all. Fire has the power to transform the mundane into the divine realm, which is why it is used in sacrifice and in funerals. Some solar cultures do practice exposure/bird consumption - the Grazers, and I think the Hyalorings did. Maybe some Pentans still do.  (Only a cad would suggest that exposure makes sense for solar cultures in wood-poor areas..)

Pam