ass kicked???

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 19:59:44 -0500

        I keep seeing references to the Lunars 'getting their asses kicked' at the Building Wall Battle, but I don't recall any place where it actually says so; only that they lost a battle, and never went back.

        IMO, the head Lunar in the area got the idea of an large (or very large) scale raid into Esrolia. Goals; 1) any loot not nailed down. 2) better maps and info on the area raided. 3) test of Esrolian military capacity.   Results; 1) Esrolian info sources sufficent to bring warning in good time. 2) Esrolian forces able to muster with sufficient strength to repulse the raid in good time (note: fortifications built).

        Let us remember that assaulting even hasty fortifications can be very costly. Even something as basic & quickly developed as a four foot deep trench three feet wide can be a severe handicap to aproaching infantry. The esrolians seem to have been able to match whatever Lunar magic was available  too.

        My reasons for the raid (at somewhere from regimental to corps strength) are based on the limited amount of data available on the whole affair. The invasion of Sartar is recorded in copious detail. Cohorts, regiments, corps, merc groups and even whole schools of magic are identified, and their activities recorded. Same for the fighting when Argrath came along. What records are there for the Building Wall? This is remembered as a battle, not a campaign. There is certainly no mention of Crimson Bats, Dragons, heroic leaders, etc.

        My take; the Lunars showed up, probed, and said the heck with it. They didn't have the efforts & resources to spare for Esrolia, it was going to be as tough or tougher than Sartar.

        Who was it that said, "Probe with a bayonet; if you hit steel, then withdraw"?

                Andrew

PS Glorantha-Con IV, January 24th-26th 1997, Ramada Hotel O'Hare (Chicago)

    This message brought to you by Orlanth-Cola, a real Windy City drink!