Humakti Honor

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:13:51 -0700 (PDT)

Joerg Baumgartner wrote:

> Brian Tickler on Humakti Rolemodels
>
> A brilliant retort on Martin's very well-written take. I tend to side with
> Brian for the vast majority of Kethaelan Humakti: honourable, noble, and
> uneffective. (After all, Onslaught still is around...)

Depends on who you talk to... :)

At the risk of sounding ungrateful for the much appreciated feedback, I would like to say a few words about the relative term, "uneffective". First, I must again defend Arreth and Mike, the man behind the Humakti, by stating for the record that Arreth is far from uneffective. There is certainly no guarantee that Onslaught could defeat Arreth, who is well on his way to herodom after 16 RW years of RQ2 adventuring...

On a more general level I agree with you in that a pious Humakti does not have as great an effect on the surrounding countryside as an Onslaught does. Certainly, Onslaught would have left a much more "memorable" impression of the people of Two-Ridge than Arreth; nevertheless, the Onslaught impression is made in a single horrifying incident, while the example set by Arreth and other Humaktis like him is absorbed over the course of a lifetime. I think that the latter is actually more effective, because it allows the people to see Onslaught as the atypical counterreaction you describe below, and thus dismiss him as a madman while retaining their original impression of the Humakt cult and its role in society.

Nick wrote:
> Brian, I fear you are taking the wrong tack with Martin L. You should find some
> way of reassuring him re: the adequate size of his private parts, before you
> attempt to challenge his concepts of honour, virtue, manliness, etc. Else
> trouble and unnecessary abuse will rain down upon us all...

Believe me, I took this into consideration...raining abuse is something I can live without, but I believe that Martin is a man of Honor who recognizes that my story was meant as an opposing viewpoint and not as a personal attack... if I'm wrong, I imagine I will soon be apologizing to Mike for the next installment in which Arreth is methodically sliced to ribbons by Onslaught, begs for his life, is ground into meal, and fed to Morthander's dogs... :)