Re: Aldryami armour

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 17:00:29 -0700

Howard Fielding wrote

> i posted about "woven" copper-leafed armour used by
> Wood Lords....David Dunham replied [quite rightly] that weaving was
> making[ugh].

> While singing the Growing Song, the Gardener "manipulates" the
> branches, leaves or fronds of the tree, "drawing" them out and around the
> recipients body, interlacing the stems so that a coat similar to scale is
> created. ...
> The armour would be fashioned so that it
> overlaps over one shoulder...getting dressed requires prying it open and
> slipping it on [like solid bronze greaves].

Inspired by this, and fresh from a bout with bindweed [my nomination for ownership of the Life rune], I propose that the Armoring Ritual does indeed involve a gardener and a recipient. The gardener starts the ritual and the recipient waits patiently (the gardener probably returns from time to time and prunes as needed). Eventually, the coppery strands grow and twine around each other and the recipient, enclosing him in a maze of intertwined vines. Finally, the roots cast off off the vines, and the recipient can leave.

This ritual could easily take weeks, during which the aldryami recipient waits patiently. Once armored, it's virtually impossible to remove (and probably useless when it is cut off).

The resulting armor looks more like chainmail than scale mail.

(I'm not sure that interlacing stems is any different from weaving -- or that it matters. Is pruning a tree Making? By letting the vine intertwine on its own, a la bindweed, no digital manipulation need be involved.)

> David's comment also got me thinking about the nature a Aldryami
> garb in general. ... My own
> inclination/conclusion is that Aldryami do not wear clothes!

In Dan Barker's illustrations for Broken Council Guidebook, the elves are wearing what must be Made armor, consisting of bark pieces for shoulder guards and breastplate, and skirts made of long leaves.

But this is armor. Quite probably, aldryami don't wear clothes. Flowering plants, after all, show no shame about exposing their sex organs...

David Dunham Pensee Corporation dunham_at_pensee.com Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ Life is hard. Concrete is hard. Life is concrete.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #617