Balastor's Axe et al.

From: Arkat_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 16:35:55 -0400

In a message dated 96-06-05 12:54:10 EDT, David Henderson wrote:

>What is so great about Balastor's Axe? What makes it special? What
>powers does it have?

Balastor's Axe is an Iron axe with the spirit of Balastor in it. You need to be a rune-type person of Pavis to pick it up without him trying to possess you. If you are a Son of Pavis or a priest of Pavis, you can attempt to ally Balastor. Balastor knows several Battle Magics including: Bladesharp 4, Repair, Fireblade, Coordination, Shimmer, and Demoralize. He also knows runemagics. They are: Mindlink 4, Summon Small Gnome, Divination 7, Shield 2, and Reflection 2. Balastor has an Int of 12 and a Pow of 20. This is the axe from the original Balastor's Barracks for RQ2. The version in the Pavis supplement for RQ2 might be a little different but I'm not sure.

>I liked the stuff on Elemental Weapons by Arkat/John Brown, but I tend to
>agree with Nils that the Earth weapon should be an axe. Every reference
>to weapons and elements I have ever seen uses the axe as the earth one.

 See my note at the beginning of the Digest #621

>And, if there are Elemental weapons, why not weapons associated with
>Powers etc. So, frex, Death has the Sword (for Humakt), but probably
>every weapon ever invented really, Movement could have the Lance or Bow,
>Moon has the Scimitar, Disorder the Keg, Beast has Claw, Hoof, Fangs,
>etc, and so on. If I could remember more Runes, I'd have a stab (har har)
>at more. Harmony has the Bagpipes(!), Cold the Snowball, Truth the
>Mirror of Total Reality (as opposed to the Vortex) whereby your
>insignificance and flawed nature is shown to you (Illuminates are
>immune!), Illusion has the Tissue of Lies (as used by Trickster), etc.

Interesting concept. I chose to work out the Elemental weapons cuz Griffin Mountain said they existed. As far as I know Power Weapons have never been mentioned in any published source but that doesn't mean you can't work them up yourself. I, for one, would be interested in what you come up with. I do like the Mirror of Total Reality, it sounds very interesting but would this be a way for Non-Illuminates to find out that you're Illuminated? They might figure it out if they can't see your reflection or would the only one who couldn't see the reflection be the Illuminate?

John Brown
Arkat_at_aol.com