A Cosmological Question: Arkat: Balastor's Axe.

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 11:27:39 GMT

Thinking about HeroQuesting has forced me to ask the following:

Is Glorantha a zero-sum universe? What I mean is, does the growth of one Power necessarily mean the reduction of the influence of another? Must Orlanth be castrated for the Red Moon to triumph? (And don't you Lunar supporters reply by saying how she's just closing down his temples for his own good either...)

From the earliest Arkat was Illuminated. He could not view any of the faiths he moved through as being the ultimate truth. He *knew* they weren't! He used and bent each of the cultures he was initiated into but this doesn't tell us whether he did what he did from motives we would regard as good or not. We don't really know now what the Golden Empire of Nysalor was like and whether Arkat's fury at it was justified.

Martin's right on one thing though: Arkat did become bound to the ways of the cults he left behind and turn into a nearly Will-less God. I say nearly because the return of the Six Arkats may mean that he has a little Will left in him to change the world one last time. Whether this was a well-merited fate or a selfless  sacrifice on his part we cannot really know. - ---
In my game Balastor's Axe was found very early on and picked up by a very stupid young adventurer (with the cry "Ooooh! I'll have that!"). This young adventurer now faces life as an allied spirit while her body (yes, *her* body) houses Balastor and the Pavis Temple has a new Priestess who rose from the ranks very quickly....

Actor and Genius.
AKA Theophilus, Prince-Archbishop of the Far Isles (Arms: Purpure, an open book proper, without clasps. On the dexter page the Greek letter Alpha or. On the sinister page the letter Omega of the same. Motto: nulla spes sit in resistendo.)
Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better living through pan-medieval anachronisms.