Hill of Gold again

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 00:16:54 +1200

David Cake:

>I think the Dara Happan Hill of Gold quest may have been an attempt
>by Dara Happan heroes to set the world right during the greater
>darkness, by trying to recover the Orb that symbolises Justice
>(divine order). But I think they were desperate enough try even using a
>foreign myth.

Note Vanyoramet recovers it because it might be useful to him in restoring his Authority (which is the first thing a Dara Happan Emperor does in trying to set the world right). When seeking it, I don't think they were using a foreign myth but instead heard of this Radiant Orb upon the Hill of Gold and put it on their shopping list of Things to Get to Save the World. Think of the Holy Grail or the Lost Ark (Indiana Jones).

I actually think that the Orb was not of Dara Happan Origin but a Gold Wheel Dancer who tried to transmute himself into an all powerful Orb but lost his free will in the process.

Whatever it was, it seems to have vanished during the conquest of Dara Happa for the later Emperors use more conventional symbols to depict Antirius. (These do bear a disturbing resemblence to the Karzant spirit depicted above Emperor Jenarong but I'll shut up about this for now).

>Note that while the Dara Happans put Antirius in the place of
>Yelmalio, Antirius never attempts it alone.

Mainly because Antirius is not a seperate person by this time but was an attribute possessed normally by the Emperor. When Vergustus 'summons' Antirius, he is weakening Manimat's Imperial Authority thereby.

>[Monrogh] ignores the Dara Happan Orb of authority, as he is not
>interested in the Dara Happan Justice.

Or rather because it is not there anymore. I suppose the Elmalites before Monrogh's reforms visited the Hill to learn pretty much the same lessons as the Yelmalions do now. I have this image of an Elmal Hero getting up the Hill to recieve the Blessings of the Orb and finds out it's not there anymore because the Dara Happans have taken it! I suspect the stoicism he manifested at the time allowed him to achieve the immortality that is the current result of completing the Hill of Gold quest.