Argrath

From: Steven E. Barnes <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:45:16 -0700

SimonPhipp_at_aol.com writes:

>> Argrath's trickster betrays the Gods, and Argrath kills Wakboth while he is
>lunching on them!
>
>> 'And he said "There is only one secret now, and that is what we have done.
>> The world will remain as
>> it is now, without interference from any god or goddess. Now it is a free
>>world, of humankind, for
>> humankind, and ruled by humankind."'
>Doesn't sound like an accident, does it? Ruled by humankind for humankind -
>very tolerant of other people, compare like Dominic's arguments about Hitler
>and Argrath/Arkat.

The whole "Argrath and the Devil" chapter of KoS was clearly a pathetic attempt by the Orlanthi to put a positive spin on their defeat in Hero Wars.

The "Death" of the gods is clearly due to a change in the conciousness of Gloranthans, such that they are no longer controlled by dieties. In a less enlightened age, such individuals were called "Illuminates", and were often killed by ignorant barbarians.

In typical Orlanthi fashion, rather than admit their defeat, they simply claim that Argrath did it.

>>Isn't Argrath killing gods a supremley *bad* thing?
>Someone in our campaign made the point that if the gods were dead and the
>shape of the world changed, Glorantha could be turned into Earth - no gods,
>different continents etc. Not that I believe him, of course, but an
>interesting idea.

Actually, it is my belief that Glorantha is more like the real world than RQ players realize. We have simply been tricked into assuming that Gloranthan myths accuratly describe history and the cosmos. I think they are just myths.